Best Passive for metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Passive for metal?

I am not enjoying the active pickups so much any more. I like the gain but I want the tone of a passive. What would be a good passive to give me a heavy tone but not muddy? And I have Duncan JB's in my KV2 and hate them, they have no gain and too much highs.

X2n

Comment

Wow that is a loaded question!So much depends on the amp,effects etc.
      WCR ironmans are pretty brutal.WCR RS shredder is a killer 16k pickup a little bright but I just adj the tone depending on which 1/2 stack or rack stuff I am using at the time.
      Get quality electronics in the guitar first then find a pickup tha suits your style.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Neck/Bridge:

APC Persuader/Persuader Lead

Lace Drop & Gain set

DiMarzio Super-2/X2N

Rio Grande Punchbox/Crunchbox
        please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

J90c?

Comment

No mud = Full Shred?

+1 to what straycat said. I have no issues with my JB, but then again I have everything else to support it.

Comment

Every Duncan except the JB sounds muddy to my ears. With gain comes muddiness, at least with the pickups I've used.
              Scott

Comment

DUNCAN CUSTOM.

The End.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Just dumped my JB for a custom 5...much tighter with great punch. Not a super high gain pickup but the tightness is making me work to play better.
                  www.JerryRobison.com
                  '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

My amp setup is a Mesa Mark IV ran through a Mesa 2x12 with EV12L speakers, I use no effects. I thought the JBs had way too many highs.

Comment

Lace D&G or Duncan Custom
                      Jason Becker / Paul Gilbert Wannabe

Comment

Bare Knuckle Warpig.....

Comment

X2n

Comment

DiMarzio X2N or Duncan PATB-2 (Parallel Axis Distortion Trembucker).
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by themisfit138 View Post
                              My amp setup is a Mesa Mark IV ran through a Mesa 2x12 with EV12L speakers, I use no effects. I thought the JBs had way too many highs.
                              I have the same amp (but I use older Mesa 4x12 half back cabs) and use very little effects....the Duncan Custom Custom or a Tom Anderson H-2+ or H3 sound crushingly perfect to my ears for the heavy stuff.
                              Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

Working...
                              X