Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jackson Custom KV - Alder or Mahogany Body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Custom KV - Alder or Mahogany Body?

I ordered Jackson Custom Shop KV guitar with the following specs:

- Kahler 2300 Tremolo
    - EMG-81 pickup
    - Quortersawn Maple Neck
    - Ebony Fretboard
    - Nech-Thru
    - Alder or Mahogany body?

The question is now, which body material to use? I play thrash and death metal using D# and C# tunings.

Anyone has guitar /w mahogany body and maple neck?
    Last edited by Ben_D; 04-09-2008, 12:33 AM.

Mahogany.

The 70's LP Customs were maple necks with mahogany bodies, I think. The maple neck would make it sound more open, and the mahogany body would give it a good low end. So it'd be quite suitable for you I guess.
    I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

I go with alder. I have Mesa Dual Rectifier /w Mesa Oversized 4x12 and that combination gives tons of lows...and we have bass player in our band

Comment

Originally posted by Norton View Post
        The 70's LP Customs were maple necks with mahogany bodies, I think. The maple neck would make it sound more open, and the mahogany body would give it a good low end. So it'd be quite suitable for you I guess.
        All Les Pauls from about 1976 - 1982 were 3 piece maple necks, not just the custom. I specifically hunted down a 1977 Custom because of the maple neck. The guitar kicks ass, but for playing 70s rock like Thin Lizzy or Journey and later bands like Guns n Roses, Cinderella. Of course it's the 7.6k Gibson t-top pickups that make it great for this stuff, but personally I think it sucks for heavy metal. The t-tops just don't have the right eq for metal, and adding more gain just doesn't get me the fatter tone I'm looking for.

On the other hand, my R0 with BB1&2 is great for metal.

Comment

Since you tune down, I'd go with alder. Mahogany might end up sounding a tad muddy. On the other hand, you can fix that with EQ.
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
          X