Hohner project guitar help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hohner project guitar help

So ive had this guitar for about a year now. It was given to me by my sisters boyfriend because he was just gonna throw it out.

Anyways...all i know about the guitar is that it is a Hohner. Not sure of the model..or anything else about the guitar.

Here are a few pics of the guitar as it is now

So this is where I need some help. I was gonna just fill in the trem route and make it a fixed bridge, unless i can get a replacement for it. Anyone know what kind of trem this uses??? Im pretty sure I have a picture of the guitar before i took it apart if that would help with the identifying the trem. Now for the switches...I see it uses three mini toggles, but which kind do i need, on-on, or on-on-on? I really have no clue what the difference is.

Other than choosing pickups, and possibly getting a new neck (I still have the neck that he had put on it), all i need help with is with the trem (whether or not to fill or replace it) and the toggles. Or if it is even worth fixing up.

can anyone help me with this?
    Last edited by Wylde06; 04-07-2008, 09:06 PM.

I do believe that's one of those Steinberger designs like you occasionally find on Gibson guitars. I've got one that I removed from my SG90, but the fulcrum posts are damaged beyond repair.
    please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Originally posted by necrotechno View Post
      I do believe that's one of those Steinberger designs like you occasionally find on Gibson guitars. I've got one that I removed from my SG90, but the fulcrum posts are damaged beyond repair.
      +1. The notch in the back of the route is to allow you to lock the bridge, making it a fixed bridge.

For the toggles, you can do whatever wiring style you want. Most people use DPDT switches. You could put in a push-button kill switch for interesting effects. Don't limit yourself - get creative.
      Last edited by DonP; 04-08-2008, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Would it be easier for me to try and find a replacement trem, or fill in and make it a fixed bridge? Do they even make this trem anymore?

Comment

I'd try looking for one on ebay, but they may be few and far between. I know Gibson and Hohner used them, but other than that....

Maybe see if a Kahler flatmount might work covering up / filling in the hole? Kahler makes a flatmount fixed bridge also...

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Kahler-7330K...QQcmdZViewItem

something like this?

Comment

Yep.

You'll need to measure your hole and compare it to the size of that kahler. Go to the kahlerusa.com website - they might have dimensions of the bridge to see if it will completely cover the hole.

You'll also need instructions on how to mount the bridge correctly - maybe the guys at kahlerusa will have instructions?

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                I'd try looking for one on ebay, but they may be few and far between. I know Gibson and Hohner used them, but other than that...
                There was a MusicYo Kramer Baretta that featured it also.

I wouldn't bother with trying to find a replacement Steinberger trem. I've never heard a positive review of one. The one on my SG90 was damaged when I bought it, but the problem was that whoever owned it before had no clue as to how to adjust the tension and just kept cranking until the fulcrum posts bent so far that the whole bridge would come off if you even touched the bar. I completely filled in the cavity and converted it to a TOM/tailpiece setup.

And while I'm no Kahler fan, but that would definitely be a step up from the Steinberger.
                please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

I doubt you'll ever find one of those Steinbergers.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                  X