Removing a pup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing a pup

Ok, Ibanez I have had a HSH config. Well, the S (some kind of Duncan double stack) is in my way. Can I just unsolder it? Or will that screw up everything else?? I can't lower it (already tried) and it's right in my picking "zone", I hit it constantly. It has to go.
    Thanks.

Oh, here's a pic of the offender...

The only thing it will affect will be the #4 (Neck and Middle) and #2 (Bridge and Middle) position of a 5 way switch if you have a 5 way switch and if it's setup that way.
    Last edited by JetFixxxer; 04-06-2008, 07:48 PM.
    2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
    2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
    2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
    2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
    2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
    2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
    2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
    2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
    2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
    1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
    1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

It will make the middle position be dead, if you care about that. I did it to my RG knockoff for the same reason.

Comment

Jeri, one thing to check before unsoldering the pickup, since you'll be taking it out anyway. See if it has foam rubber behind it, or springs or surgical tubing around the screws that may be keeping you from being able to lower it all the way. If so, you may be able to remove them & lower the pickup down enough to be OK for you. Of course, it's also possible that the cavity is too shallow to let you crank it down enough, but it's worth a look before unsoldering, imo.

Comment

Thanks guys. I did expect that part to be dead, but wanted to make sure it wouldn't mess up the signal from/to the bridge pup.

Comment

Oh yea forgot to mention that it will make the middle not work
            2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
            2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
            2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
            2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
            2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
            2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
            2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
            2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
            2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
            1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
            1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

So, I just unsolder it and take it out, and life it still ok?? I only use the bridge pup anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                Jeri, one thing to check before unsoldering the pickup, since you'll be taking it out anyway. See if it has foam rubber behind it, or springs or surgical tubing around the screws that may be keeping you from being able to lower it all the way. If so, you may be able to remove them & lower the pickup down enough to be OK for you. Of course, it's also possible that the cavity is too shallow to let you crank it down enough, but it's worth a look before unsoldering, imo.
                Thanks dg, you were right, there was a damn block of wood under it!!!
                I think it will lower just fine now. No soldering needed :ROTF:

Comment

I have the same problem with my 3 pickup guitars, I have to drop the middle pickup right our of the way otherwise I'm banging the effin thing every time I'm not as accurate as I should be. Funnily the strats I have don't seem to have that problem which is kind of weird.
                  Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Working...
                  X