connecting amp head with the cabinet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• connecting amp head with the cabinet

I am a little confused with different opinions I get regarding this matter.
    One very skilled electrican has said that the tube amps MUST run with 2 cables. It`s because it is necessary to load all 2 channels....?
    But I run my amp head and cab on 8 ohms(that`s a mono mode) and usually connect it with only one cable. Some people say it`s OK that way, and if I want to use 2 cables, I`d need to switch to 16 ohms. Others say it`s not important if it`s on 8 or 16 ohms, that I have to use 2 cables anyways......I am confused.....

I think its the other way around, mono is 16 ohm and stereo would be 8 ohm (or 8 mono & 4 stereo).
    Only connect 2 cables if you want stereo, one cable for mono.
    16 or 8 ohm doesn't matter as long as your cab matches the head.

Comment

Originally posted by SlasZ View Post
      I think its the other way around, mono is 16 ohm and stereo would be 8 ohm (or 8 mono & 4 stereo).
      Only connect 2 cables if you want stereo, one cable for mono.
      16 or 8 ohm doesn't matter as long as your cab matches the head.
      Thanx for reply!! But on the cab it says 8 mono, 16 stereo...

Comment

with one cab run 1 cable from mono operation and 2 for stereo operation.

for 1 cab operation match the head with the cabinet impedence. i.e. 16 head with 16 cab or 8 head with 8 cab. if matching is not possible run the cab higher than the head. for example 16 cab into 8 head. or 8 cab into 4 head. to keep it safe.

for 2 cab operation (or 1 cab in stereo) run the head at half the cab rating. i.e. two 8 ohm cabs should plug into the 4 ohm speaker out of the head. two 16 ohm cabs should be run at 8 ohms on the head. or with a standard marshall cab in stereo which is two 8 ohm loads - run the head at 4 ohms.

on page 31 starts examples of safe mismatching
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by warhead View Post
          Thanx for reply!! But on the cab it says 8 mono, 16 stereo...
          I can't check on mine but with what Dreamland says I suppose I'm wrong

Comment

your head sees stereo as 2 seperate cabs.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

To the original question, I have never heard anyone say that you must have 2 cables to run a mono cab. If the amp actually had stereo outputs instead of just two mono outputs, then I could maybe understand it, but since it doesn't the amp should care how many jacks are filled as long as it has the proper load.
              Scott

Comment

The two jacks on most amps are generally just wired up parallel. Running 2 cables from a mono amp to a stereo cab is redundant and unnecessary. The wiring inside your cab is already properly sharing the load. If he's as skilled as you claim, he must assume that this is a stereo amp (which means he may be skilled, but he's not well informed).

Comment

Your "very skilled electrican" has been rolling too many doobies. If you are running a mono amp, a single cable is what you want. Besides, he's an electrician, not a guitar tech.
                  I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
                    Your "very skilled electrican" has been rolling too many doobies. If you are running a mono amp, a single cable is what you want. Besides, he's an electrician, not a guitar tech.
                    Yeah, the thing is, there's a big difference between an electrician, and an electronics technician. I know several professional electricians, and I would let any of them within 10 feet of any of my gear.
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Unless your head is stereo. Has a right and left labeled output to speakers. And not just two jacks. If its a tube head aka marshall. with a marshall cab. Run one cable from the 1st jack, if labeled as such. And make sure both head and cab are set to 16 ohms. Usung 2 speaker cables into one stereo cabinet. Is 16ohms anyway. So why confuse yourself. Just run one cable and set everything to 16ohms. If you run 2 cabs off of same head. Then run 2 cables and set impedance to 8 ohms on the head.

Comment

It is Framus Cobra head and a matching cabinet I am specifficaly asking about...
                        Thanx for all the info!! Now all is clear to me. It was really frustrating to hear all the different opinionions. All the time I had this amp, I was connecting it with one cable, 8 ohms on the head, 8 ohms mono on the cab. And it worked quite fine...

Comment

It will continue to work quite fine. Very few tube guitar amps (if any...) require stereo operation.

Comment

Working...
                          X