Intonation problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intonation problem

I decided to set the intonation on my Larrivee (Gotoh Floyd) the other day since I've been playing more on the higher frets lately and the intonation being off has started bothering me.

When I started out, the intonation was good on the open strings and at the 12th fret. At the 24th however, it was sharp. So I started moving the saddles back a bit.

After a while it was spot on at the 24th fret and open string but a bit flat at the 12th. How do I solve that? I've only so far tinkered with the high E and B strings. Could the problem solve itself if I set the intonation on the other strings?

Guitar necks and frets are a compromise. Stick with the 12th fret intonation. Or buy a violin.:ROTF:
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by jonasaberg View Post
      After a while it was spot on at the 24th fret and open string but a bit flat at the 12th.
      In that case I set it somewhere in the middle. Open string a little flat, 24th a little sharp. I don´t think there´s a way to correct this. Maybe different gauge of strings or different tuning would help, but I don´t think you want that.

Comment

A guitar will never be in perfect tune with itself, so you have to compromise. Though, if you can lower your bridge a little, that should help with the intonation a tiny bit.
        If you are tuning lower, that will also be part of the problem.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

What tuning are you using ?

Comment

Also, maybe try different brand of strings?

Comment

Theoretically if the frets are set correctly, shouldn't an open string be in tune with the 12th and 24th frets?
              Scott

Comment

Yeah. That would make sense .Maybe when get that close to the bridge a little off gets magnified.
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I use standard tuning and the bridge is already quite low. Any lower would be too low for my taste.

I think I'll have to compromise a bit on this. Not really a huge deal. It's not like I have perfect pitch or anything so I can probably live with it.

I'll just play really fast so no one notices...
                  'cause they're laughing at my piss poor attempt at shredding :P

Comment

In standard tuning tune the 12 fret harmonic and then fret the string on the 12 fret. Keep doing this till they're both in tune it might be as close as you'll get.

Comment

The ability to set the intonation correctly everywhere on the neck reflects on the overall quality of the guitar.

Comment

So, it's a waste of time to tune a Squier!
                        "POOP"

Comment

No matter what guitars I try, the G string never sounds right to me.
                          Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
                            So, it's a waste of time to tune a Squier!
                            Exactly. The time that would be wasted trying to tune a Squier would be better spent plunging toilets. :ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by shobet View Post
                              No matter what guitars I try, the G string never sounds right to me.

I always have issues with my G strings too. they're a real pain in the ass!

Seriously though, I know what you mean. What is it with that particular string?
                              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                              X