Electrical issue regarding volume.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical issue regarding volume.

I have a Jackson KV10X (or whatever it is called), and for some reason, I am having problem with the volume. I have to have the volume knob in a specific place in order to get any sound. If I turn it either way, I get static and something similar to a dull welfare acoustic sound... only quieter... and less pleasant. It makes no difference which pickup I am using.

I changed the volume pot hoping to alleviate this issue with absolutely no results. Where do I go from here?? Is the capacitor bad perhaps??
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Surely somebody must have experienced this. There are a lot of guitarists here.....
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

I would have said it was the volume pot. Maybe there's a loose wire somewhere between volume and output jack?
      Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
        I would have said it was the volume pot. Maybe there's a loose wire somewhere between volume and output jack?

Everything appears to be tight. *sigh*

Comment

It sounds like the pot itself might be the problem. Have you got a multimeter to measure the resistance of the pot?
          Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

No, but I put a brand new pot in it.

Comment

That doesn't mean it can't be a faulty pot.Did you wire it correctly?guitarelectronics.com is a good resource.
              Order an rsguitarworks pot up grade kit and do it right.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I wired it exactly as it was. Maybe I did get a faulty one. I hadn't thought about that because the preformance of the guitar has neither gotten worse nor better.

Comment

Can you record what happens when you turn the volume knob? Like hold out a chord and then slowly turn the knob from off to full to off.

Is it always the same spot on the knob where you get sound?

Have you tried changing the tone pot?
                  Scott

Comment

Pretty much when the volume is at zero, i can play a chord and turn the volume knob up.... all I get is static until I just about get maxed out. If it had numbers I would say around 9. But if I go beyond that, I get the static again.

I haven't tried to change the tone pot. That seems to be working correctly.

Comment

Now it definitely sounds like a bad volume pot. Maybe you heated the new one up too much when installing the new one?
                      Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                        Now it definitely sounds like a bad volume pot. Maybe you heated the new one up too much when installing the new one?

I don't know.... I almost wondered if I didn't solder it enough while I was doing it. *sigh* Why me?? Lol.

Comment

Time to ressurect this thread and see if anyone has any new perspectives.

Comment

1. You burned the pot soldering it. OR 2. Bad pot outta the box.
                            Either way, pots are inexpensive, I don't know why you'd wait to just throw in a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
                              Time to ressurect this thread and see if anyone has any new perspectives.

Have you not fixed/gotten it fixed yet?

Did you remove the pot and check it with your meter? Turn the pot all the way up and poke around in the the pots/switches etc. If you move the leads around does the problem go away? Do you see any cold soldering joints?

Another thing you can do is bypass the pot altogether, temporarily, and wire the pickup straight to the jack. Does the problem go away?

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X