Working on a guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on a guitar

I'm curious. I am just now getting into working on my guitars. Soldering and mutting. I have found that I am good for about 1 1/2 hours at a stretch. How long do you guys work on a project a stretch at a time?.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

That's about how long I last before I get annoyed.

Comment

I'm always working on my guitars..... I can go 6 -8 hours... what happens is I finish one and then I will grab another because I'm on a roll...
      2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
      2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
      2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
      2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
      2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
      2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
      2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
      2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
      2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
      1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
      1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

I love working on them. But I have to figure out where I am between you two. I may work myself up to two hours. For example see my Squire Jackson thread. I could only spend an hour at a time cleaning the maple board and then I was bored I went back a few days later and did that again. It took less than an hour to figure out the Jackson loaded board would work. I tested the pups, did the soldering, reattached the neck, screwed it up, put new strings on, intonated it, cleaned it up and played it. That took less than 2 hours. Now what do I do? Find another project?:ROTF:
        Last edited by fett; 03-29-2008, 03:17 PM.

Comment

I work on things until they're done (or I have another obligation get in the way...) whether it's guitars or anything else.

Comment

I try to finish 1 at a time as far as customer set ups go but depends on just how many I have in line.I have worked 10 hrs at a strech.
            Project guitars I work as I get parts in.I have 2 waiting for paint to dry (a PRS and Charvel 375)and 1 (a 59 Gibson melody maker) getting some wood repair done.
            I hope to get these 3 done in the next few weeks.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

It's a hobby for me. Now that I actually have a place to work at my Summer Home I can get into it. It's nowhere warm enough to think about painting. But, that will next.

Comment

I've been playing with a certain amplifier, as much as my back will allow me to.

That big cap is Toast. But, you knew that, fett.

Comment

You mean that big aluminum tube-like thing? I just want you to what you can. I have the back to back you up.:ROTF: But the chassis only weighs 3 pounds.

Comment

It really helps if you have a good work space. I have a hard time calling it a night if I am working on a project. Sometimes it seems I spend more time working on them than playing them. (not a good thing) I am a bit geeky when it comes to this stuff. I always buy parts in bulk, yeah I am a geek. To answer you question, I could easily spends four hours or more.
                    Just one more guitar!

Comment

I spend any where from a few minutes with just making some minor adjustments. Up to several hours solving an issue. Ive gone as much ad 6 hrs in day once workin on a guitar. But i would say other than the usual maintenance. I would spend and average of 2-3hrs on a single guitar issue.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                        You mean that big aluminum tube-like thing? I just want you to what you can. I have the back to back you up.:ROTF: But the chassis only weighs 3 pounds.
                        The chassis weight is not a problem.
                        Body mechanics is a much bigger issue.
                        When I find it a struggle to stand, and sit, without my back going bonkers,
                        it makes it hard to spend much time at the bench.

On topic, I spend whatever time on a project as I can to get it done.
                        An 8 hour day of working on guitars, or amps isn't a day of work, unless I get befuddled. Then, it gets put away until the fog clears.

Comment

I make guitars for people who ask for them (I'm a local builder), but I don't ask for any "additional" charges, as I enjoy my work.

I spend 5 hours on one guitar, I am very carefull and precise when it comes to cutting and wiring, I pride myself on it. I need at least 1 hours break from it though or else the whole project goes through the window. Literally
                          Gear--
                          Jackson KVX10 Cobalt Blue Swirl
                          Wesley Tartatus V Black
                          Marshall MG30fx
                          Digitech Delay
                          Digitech Heavy Metal
                          Digitech Wah Pedal

Comment

1-2 hours at a time, usually starting at 12am or so, after everyone is in bed and I've spent some 'quality' time with my wife. I'm up at 7am every day so I'm usually tired by then...yawn...

joe...
                            www.godwentpunk.com
                            www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

It all depends on how much coffee, donuts and meth I've had.

Comment

Working...
                              X