Distortion: is it the JE-1200?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distortion: is it the JE-1200?

Hi everybody: this is my first post and the first thing should be thanking you all for the huge and inspiring amount of info I found on this forum!!

I have a problem with my Charvel 475 Deluxe that I bought almost 15 years ago. I started having problems some time ago and I can't get my head around it: one day I could not get my usual clean tone. The sound was slightly overdriven when the midboost was turned down, quite distorted if it was fully open. It seems to be worse with the humbucker than with the single coils. (If needed I could post an mp3 for you to listen)
    I thought it was the battery dying and I replaced it, to no avail.
    I have recently taken it to a local guitar shop and at first the guy there told me it was normal and it was just the "incredible gain" my guitar had (well...). I challenged him saying that I have been playing it for many years and I know how it should sound. He then seemed convinced that the only thing to do was to replace the JE1200 and I now know that there aren't many around in the UK...

I tried to have a look at it myself and see if there was any loose connection or soldering but everything seems to be fine.
    Is there anything you could suggest me to do before goin to PLAN B??

(PLAN B): get rid of the midboost circuit and pot, and replace it with an ARTEC EXP http://artecsound.com/exp.html. I would probably leave the stock pickups there.
    In this case I would need some help with the wiring diagrams...

Well, just to narrow it down you could unhook the boost and see if the problem goes away. Assuming it is the boost, it sounds like it's not turning off completely.
    Scott

Comment

99% of the mid boost problems tend to be the weak battery syndrom.You checked it and installed a fresh battery and still have the problem I would check the stereo input jack.They had a plastic caseing you may find the problem there.
      If you go plan B check out rsguitarworks.net and look at their pot upgrade kits I swear by them and have installed plenty of them and my customers swear by them too.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Change the battery again. Had a similar issue with the je-1000 in my '88le - the second battery was bad. Pulled my hair out trying to trace it down. Finally tried another battery.. fixed it.
        750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
        Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Good idea really try another.

Comment

Cool! Thanx a lot guys.
            So:
            1) Ill change the battery
            2) I'll check the stereo input jack

Straycat: I have checked out rsguitarworks.net. Am I right saying that the upgrade kit is just to replace the volume and tone pots? It seems there is no active electronics in it.

Comment

I think the pot that is connected to the circuit board is a 50k, be sure to check...
              Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Comment

Welcome to the board icez. Nice first post and I agree with all of the advice above. I am hopping for a battery problem.
                Just one more guitar!

Comment

RS kits are passive not active.I said to use their kit if you remove the JE 1000 mid boost unit.
                  I have never had a problem with the Jackson mid boost other than having to replace the battery.Be sure not to leave your guitar plugged in if you have an active system it will drain the battery quickly.

Comment

Hi! A lil' update.
                    No luck with the new battery. I also bypassed the stereo input jack to see if the problem was in there: nope.
                    PLease check if the next step makes sense: I am going to remove the je-1200 and replace the volume pot with a 500k one. Then I will rewire everything (if I find a diagram...)to make the system completely passive. If the problem stops then it was the faulty midboost.

I don't like the idea of not having active electronics though: I understand that the stock pups are quite basic and even weaker withouth the midboost. I considered replacing pups and I decided that it's a too expensive option. That's why in my first post I mentioned the Artec EXP: it's a fairly inexpensive active midboost/midcut and if I don't like it, well, I'll chuck it out! I also checked out the EMG active tone control (like the EMG -VMC) but I read somewhere that you can use it only with EMG pups.

Straycat: thanx for the advice, but I usually unplug the guitar every time. Before having this problem I only had to replace the battery twice in 15 years.

Comment

I think you can get a EMG PA2 and it'll give you up to a 20 db boost and it works on any passive pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by jtr View Post
                        I think you can get a EMG PA2 and it'll give you up to a 20 db boost and it works on any passive pickups.
                        That's a flat boost though - doesn't boost any frequencies .

Comment

Originally posted by icez View Post
                          I also checked out the EMG active tone control (like the EMG -VMC) but I read somewhere that you can use it only with EMG pups.
                          The VMC can be used on passive or active pickups. I know, because I emailed Rick at EMG and he said it would be fine. I was going to get one to use in an old guitar, but I never did it. Pretty much any of their active bass EQ circuits are also fine for guitar. Most of the circuits will also work with passive pickups unless they state otherwise. http://www.emginc.com/displayproduct...&catalogid=144
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If you are looking for a flat boost....
                            http://www.guitarelectronics.com/pro...r_Circuit.html

Got this in my 750xl - designed for passive p/u's. Works great.

Comment

Working...
                            X