Charvel Strathead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Strathead

Hey guys, i'm having a little trouble setting my strathead up. The truss rod on this thing seems pretty sensitive, I live in the south where there's allot of humidity and every time I set the neck, a week later it moves again in th relief direction. Are the stratheads more sensitive to moisture or do they have a different truss rod? I change strings every few days, because I play alot, but I wouldn't think string changing would cause this. Any Ideas?

By the way, it is a heavy birdseye neck. Thanks

Marc

sounds to me like the neck either hasnt settled in yet or something isnt right. you may want to re oil the neck with some gunstock or danish oil. IMHO something isnt right tho.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
      sounds to me like the neck either hasnt settled in yet or something isnt right. you may want to re oil the neck with some gunstock or danish oil. IMHO something isnt right tho.
      Agreed. Is the neck finished? No guitar should need that much readjustment.

Comment

No, it's an unfinished neck. It's the midnight blue NAMM guitar I got from matt a month ago, I'm gonna chalk it up to newer wood and not settled in yet. I'm going to change strings again tomorrow and set it again, and see what happens. I sent the charvel guys an email and we'll see what they say. I have several other guitars and none have this problem. I haven't owned a strathead in 25 years so some of it may be my adjustiments.
        I allways use the same strings, Gibson 9s, a pretty good local luthier told me a couple minutes ago to set it again and try another string and see if that works. what the hell, it's worth a try.

Marc

Comment

Originally posted by jacksoncsplayer View Post
          No, it's an unfinished neck.
          Marc
          I think that could well be your issue, especially if it's humid where you are. If it's still doing this after another couple weeks, I would see about getting it finished, as in the long run it could end up warping.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
            I think that could well be your issue, especially if it's humid where you are. If it's still doing this after another couple weeks, I would see about getting it finished, as in the long run it could end up warping.
            +1, a birdseye neck is generally considered less rigid than a straight quartersawn maple one, plus the fact that it is unfinished might mean that you actually need to get it finished, usually even a thin poly coat is enough to lock the moisture out.

As a reference, Warmoth does not offer a warranty for their unfinished necks, because they are more prone to warping.

Comment

Originally posted by surfreak View Post
              +1, a birdseye neck is generally considered less rigid than a straight quartersawn maple one, plus the fact that it is unfinished might mean that you actually need to get it finished, usually even a thin poly coat is enough to lock the moisture out.

As a reference, Warmoth does not offer a warranty for their unfinished necks, because they are more prone to warping.
              I'm going to clear it, probably just 2 coats to lock it down, then ill sand it to suit my taste. Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

Marc

Comment

Working...
              X