Bridge pickup for strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge pickup for strat

I have a 2006 AmStd Strat, and I'm really diggin the 2 and 4 position sounds, well, pretty much all positions but the bridge-only. I'm thinking about getting a SC sized HB, but I'm fine with the stock middle and neck pups. What would be a good pup that could handle Maiden/Priest type distortion, but that I could split and still get the cool 'inbetween' sounds without overpowering the other pickups? I've looked at the JB Jr. and DiMarzio Distortion S, but I don't know if that will get me where I want to be...any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Pat

How about the DiMarzio HS-3? It's a stacked humbucker....and is used on the Yngwie Malmsteen Strat....I dunno about splitting, though....
    I've played the Yngwie Malmsteen Strat, and it sounded really nice with distorted tones.

Comment

Thanks axehunter, I'll look in to that. I'm afraid if I can't split it, I'll lose the cool bridge-middle sound, but maybe someone will chime in on that.

Comment

the HS-3 is nice and so is the JB jr. if you want a more biting sound.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

tone zone s is a good one.

Comment

The discontinued Maiden sig strat had the JB-Jr. in it. If you want a full-on humbucker sound, you couldn't go wrong with that. Get a Megaswitch and you can wire the #4 position to be the middle PU and the JB-Jr. tapped (no additional switching, push-pull, etc.).

If you just want a fatter sounding single-coil, check out DiMarzio's Chopper, or Bill Lawrence's L290.
            please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Originally posted by mccullpl View Post
              Thanks axehunter, I'll look in to that. I'm afraid if I can't split it, I'll lose the cool bridge-middle sound, but maybe someone will chime in on that.
              I think you'll loose the cool bridge-middle sound with anything you choose. The exception might be a full sized JB when split, or something similar. Even then it will take a lot of guessing to get the right coil to work with the middle. Head over to the SD forums.

Comment

Try a lil 59.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I found I can warm up the bridge single coil by adding a back plate to the bridge pickup (http://www.torresengineering.com/linfralstrat1.html), and rewiring a single tone control across all the pickups rather than the standard neck and middle only tone controls. Just having the tone control wired to the bridge pickup will cut the piercing highs even when turned to 10. And you'll still get the bridge-middle quack.

Comment

I swapped my bridge pickup for a slightly overwound Fralin Blues Special with the metal backplate and it sounds great both clean and distorted!

Comment

Wow! Lots of good suggestions...I guess I have a bit more research to do...

Thanks!
                      Pat

Comment

I use the JB jr. in one of my Strats, and I love it.You could always try a Hot Rail, too.
                        I'm not Ron!

Comment

You can hear the difference with the added baseplate at the following link http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Strat...d_Clips_W1.cfm

It has clips of the Fralin pickups without the base plate (Vintage Hot, and Blues Special) and the same pickups with the base plate (click on the separate "w/ Baseplate" link).

You can hear that it adds more bass without taking away the top-end sparkle. Very noticable on the "Funk Rhythm Lick" 1-Bridge position. Overwinding on the other hand will add more bass but will cut some top-end. You can hear this if you compare the Vintage Hot versus the Blue Specials both without the baseplates (Blues Special has more windings than the Vintage Hot). The Blues Special will have more beef, but less sparkle. Then compare the Vintage Hot w/ Baseplate versus the Blue Special without and you'll hear what I mean.

That said, it's definitely not a humbucker in case that is what you're truly looking for. Rather its a single coil with a slight bit fuller bottom end.

Comment

Anyone know what pot and cap size should you use with a HS3 in a maple board strat? I've got my own strat project underway with that config.

Comment

Working...
                            X