EMG 89 in SL2H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG 89 in SL2H

Hi all...I'm thinking of putting an EMG 89 (paired with another EMG, I just don't know which yet!) in my SL2H as the neck pick-up....will this require the use of a different selector switch (i.e.: not the 3 way that comes stock), or is the split from humbucker to single coil done with a pull-volume knob? Has anyone done this installation? I saw a pic when searching of a bengal SL2H with 89's....is it difficult? How do people like the 89 in the neck?
    Also, any good recommendations for an EMG bridge pickup? I know about the typical 81 or 85 suggestion, but I play classic rock to classic metal....think Rush, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Zeppelin, etc and don't know if that is too "metal" of a sound.

Thanks!

I'm not an EMG fanboy, but I'll answer the questions that I can. I have a pair of EMG loaded axes, one with a EMG81b/EMG85n and an SPC boost, and one with an EMG81 / EMG-S wired for 18 volts.

1. You don't need a dfferent selector switch. You will need a push/pull pot (or heaven forbid, drill a hole for a swtch) if you want to be able to switch the 89 between single and humbucking.

2. If you saw a pic of a Bengal SL2H with 89's, then I guess you answered your own questions "Has anyone done this installation?".

3. classic rock to classic metal and you want EMG's? From the groups you listed, you want a classic PAF style of pickup (Duncan 59, Gibson 57 Classic or Burstbuckers, DiMarzio PAF Pro,...). Have you had or heard EMG's before? I think of Metallica or newer Judas Priest when I think EMG's.

Comment

Yeah....I've played a few guitars with EMGs....both single coils and hums. I really find that I like the note articulation more with EMG's, and that they just have a clarity I don't seem to find elsewhere. Perhaps I just don't like Seymore Duncans which have been on all my guitars and I should try DiMarzios...but I dunno. And don't forget that David Gilmour used EMG's on his Strats...

Comment

I have EMG 89 in 2 of my guitars one in the I'ld had put one in the bridge also very versitile. You'll need 25k push/pull pot but that come with the pickup and if it's a quick connect it should already be prewired.

Comment

There's a new version of the 81 that is dual-sound like the 89, called the 81-TW. Schecter is using it as stock equipment on some of their new models.

The only guitar I have with an 89 is a KE1, which only has one pickup. So I don't know if both pickups can be set up to switch with only one pull pot. I doubt it, though.
          please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Originally posted by axehunter View Post
            Hi all...I'm thinking of putting an EMG 89 (paired with another EMG, I just don't know which yet!) in my SL2H as the neck pick-up....will this require the use of a different selector switch (i.e.: not the 3 way that comes stock), or is the split from humbucker to single coil done with a pull-volume knob? Has anyone done this installation? I saw a pic when searching of a bengal SL2H with 89's....is it difficult? How do people like the 89 in the neck?
            Also, any good recommendations for an EMG bridge pickup? I know about the typical 81 or 85 suggestion, but I play classic rock to classic metal....think Rush, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Zeppelin, etc and don't know if that is too "metal" of a sound.

Thanks!
            I used to use 81/89 back in the day. Yes the 89 is coil splitable, use a push pull or mini toggles. You can do phasing in/out as well.

I would use an 89 in the bridge as well...

coil split and phase them both, get a 6 way rotary switch and 2 double pole mini's and have a little wiring party!!.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/c=e...pminiswitches/

wiring diagrams...

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/cat...ickupdiagrams/

I used to work there

Good luck..
            USA Doublerhoads Custom Shop
            USA King V Custom Shop X Series

Comment

Here is original wiring by EMG

http://www.emginc.com/downloads/wiri...ams/EMG-89.pdf
              Dinky XL '96 - always stay in tune

Comment

Originally posted by RD View Post
                I used to use 81/89 back in the day. Yes the 89 is coil splitable, use a push pull or mini toggles. You can do phasing in/out as well.

I would use an 89 in the bridge as well...

coil split and phase them both, get a 6 way rotary switch and 2 double pole mini's and have a little wiring party!!.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/c=e...pminiswitches/

wiring diagrams...

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/cat...ickupdiagrams/

I used to work there

Good luck..
                Thanks....looks good!

Comment

I have two SLSMGs with EMGS. One has 89/81 and the other 81TW/81. I would recommended the 89/81 combination. It is very versatile and the coil tap really does sound like a single. On my 81TW there is a big drop in volume when you switch to the single. The 81TW is VERY VERY tall. It was so tall compared to a 89 or 81 that I had to route my guitar so that it fits properly. Hope this helps!

edit:

The 89 in single mode is good for classic & hard rock and when in humbucking mode it is perfect for metal. You can find the wiring diagrams on the EMG site but if you'd like I can take a pic of mine. With 89/81 you will be completely satisfied.
                  Last edited by isaac311; 03-27-2008, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by isaac311 View Post
                    I have two SLSMGs with EMGS. One has 89/81 and the other 81TW/81. I would recommended the 89/81 combination. It is very versatile and the coil tap really does sound like a single. On my 81TW there is a big drop in volume when you switch to the single. The 81TW is VERY VERY tall. It was so tall compared to a 89 or 81 that I had to route my guitar so that it fits properly. Hope this helps!
                    I'm considering getting Schecter's Stiletto Classic, which has the 81-TW as stock, and was thinking about wiring it "backwards" — where the pull-up position is the full humbucker, and the down position is single-coil. So this is interesting information. Thanks.
                    please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Working...
                    X