Source for Jackson compatible top-mount locking nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for Jackson compatible top-mount locking nut

Anyone know of a good place to purchase a quality top-mount floyd rose locking nut that will work on a dk2s?

Now the back story for those with extra time on their hands ...

I have a dk2s which I am rebuilding from parts. I had all Jackson parts except for the locking nut which I decided to take a chance and order from someone on eBay. Turns out the floyd rose nut I ordered is a little taller than a standard nut which makes the string action a little high causing several fun problems including intonation issues. I took a locking nut off of another Jackson I have and compared them and the nut from my other Jackson fits perfectly and makes the string height at the nut just right.

The ebay-purchased nut also is not solid on the bottom which gives less contact between the nut and the wood which seems to have at least a little impact on sustain and transfer of vibration to/through the wood.

So, I learned my lesson about cheap parts on eBay. I know I could just file down the nut slot/deck to install the tall ebay nut, but I'd rather just get a real/standard one. I looked at stewmac and Warmoth but they only have the floyd nuts that bolt through the back. I need a top-mount nut.

So, back to my original question at the top. Anyone know of a good source?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave

Try a Gotoh nut. Their nuts are top mount, or at least mine is. You can also get an OFR nut and have it machined to be top mounted; while technically you could just run a drill press through the holes, most people don't have access to a drill press powerful enough to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
      Try a Gotoh nut. Their nuts are top mount, or at least mine is. You can also get an OFR nut and have it machined to be top mounted; while technically you could just run a drill press through the holes, most people don't have access to a drill press powerful enough to do so.
      Why would you need to have a Floyd nut machined and/or drilled?
      They sell OFR nuts in both styles. Top mount and rear mount.
      http://www.axcessories.com/products.asp?cat=70

Every current Jackson model that has a factory installed OFR on it, ships with a top mount nut.
      Rear mounts are only installed if your request it.
      -Rick

Comment

If you buy an OFR nut it will probably be too tall. They are thicker than most knock offs. All of the OFR nuts I have seen over the last few years are designed for both top mount and through the neck mount. The mounting holes are designed to accept either type of mount.

Comment

The Gotoh nut looks good ... comes with extra shims. Part number GHL-2C. It is a top mount. Gotoh makes bottom mount ones as well. There's a Gotoh GHL-2C on eBay for $20 + $4 shipping. I'm going to take a chance on that one. I'll report back what I find. Thanks for the tips!

Dave
          Dave

Comment

I was saying he could always machine one if he finds it hard to find a top mount one, as they don't seem to be nearly as common as the bottom mount ones.

Comment

Originally posted by DHardmanJr View Post
              The Gotoh nut looks good ... comes with extra shims. Part number GHL-2C. It is a top mount. Gotoh makes bottom mount ones as well. There's a Gotoh GHL-2C on eBay for $20 + $4 shipping. I'm going to take a chance on that one. I'll report back what I find. Thanks for the tips!

Dave
              Gotoh locking nut is taller than original dk2s locking nut. It is about the same size as OFR/Schaller part.

Comment

Originally posted by Kisonen View Post
                Gotoh locking nut is taller than original dk2s locking nut. It is about the same size as OFR/Schaller part.
                The Gotoh is on its way. Even if it ends up being taller than the original part, at least I'll have a better quality nut than the el-cheapo one I started with.

Dave
                Dave

Comment

Just grind the bottom of the tall nut and use it dont cut the shelf of the neck.
                  +1 on what slash posted.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                    Just grind the bottom of the tall nut and use it dont cut the shelf of the neck.
                    +1 on what slash posted.
                    +1 again. Finding a nut the correct height is next to impossible.

If nut is too tall, grind it down. I did this with my DK2 that I switched out for gold hardware.

I've bought 4 black nuts trying to find one the correct height. I gave up.

If the nut is too short (never seems to happen), shim it.

Never mess with the wood on the neck.

Comment

the R2 nut is shorter than the R3 nut.

and why not mess with the wood on the neck? they do make shims if you sand it down too low. maybe like 600 grit?
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                        the R2 nut is shorter than the R3 nut.
                        You may have a point. The R2 I had was the correct height.
                        and why not mess with the wood on the neck? they do make shims if you sand it down too low. maybe like 600 grit?
                        Because if you F up the nut really bad, get a new nut. If you F up the neck really bad, you are F'ed. Besides, the nut is the problem, not the neck. The neck left the factory with the correct nut once in it's lifetime.

Comment

Find it on ebay there are tons of people parting out DK2M's all day long.
                          Me I'd grind the nut down and be done with it.A really simple procedure takes about 15 min.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

...and why not mess with the wood on the neck? they do make shims if you sand it down too low. maybe like 600 grit?
                            750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                            Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

So, I received the Gotoh nut in the mail. Much much better quality than the previous one I tried. The quality is on par with a original floyd rose locking nut.

It is, however, taller than what the DK2s calls for. If I wanted to grind the nut down ... what do I use? If I were going to grind down the shelf on the neck ... I would just use a flat wood file. What would you recommend be used to grind down the nut? The metal seems pretty heavy duty.

Dave
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X