Rusty floyd rose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty floyd rose

I've been meaning to clean my FL a bit, the saddles & tuners are a bit rusty. Here are some pics:

I've read the guide on audiozone (http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/floyd-tremolo-tips.htm) but i'm a bit reluctant to take apart the whole thing. Are there other ways to remove the rust?
    I also have some rust next to the pickups:

Tips appreciated!

Spray some WD-40 over the floyd and scrub it with the toothbrush.

And don't worry about anything, just take it apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
      Spray some WD-40 over the floyd and scrub it with the toothbrush.

And don't worry about anything, just take it apart.
      What's WD-40?

Comment

Originally posted by SlasZ View Post
        What's WD-40?
        http://www.wd40.com/

Don't tell me you haven't seen that before?

Comment

I'll have to check the stores
          Btw, if you submerge the floyd (or the parts) in oil, how do you remove that oil? Can't really have a greasy floyd on your guitar i guess.

Comment

Looks like the heads on the saddle screws are shot, be careful when you take them out or you'll strip the heads. Replace them if you can.
            Guitars:
            '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
            '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
            '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
            Amp:
            VOX AD30VT

Comment

Originally posted by UFORocks View Post
              Looks like the heads on the saddle screws are shot, be careful when you take them out or you'll strip the heads. Replace them if you can.
              What do you mean by shot? They might break off? I took one off just now and it seems sturdy enough.

Comment

Originally posted by SlasZ View Post
                What do you mean by shot? They might break off? I took one off just now and it seems sturdy enough.
                They look pretty rusted and the heads might strip depending on how bad the rust damage is. Just telling you what I know from my recent experience.
                Guitars:
                '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                Amp:
                VOX AD30VT

Comment

Ok so I took apart the floyd rose and used a fine grained steel wool to remove most of the rust. Then I sprayed all the parts with WD-40 and put them in a plastic cup, and put some more WD-40 in it. I hope I'm still doing the right thing here?
                  How long should it soak in the oil?
                  Here are some pics:

Comment

Here's another thread about Floyd maintenance from a couple weeks ago. http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80166
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Did you remember the order of the saddles? To get the oilf off, just wash all the parts in detergent and dry them with a hairdryer. I thnk.
                      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        Here's another thread about Floyd maintenance from a couple weeks ago. http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80166
                        But mine has pictures in it! :ROTF:
                        So judging from the info there i'm doing the right thing

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                          Did you remember the order of the saddles? To get the oilf off, just wash all the parts in detergent and dry them with a hairdryer. I thnk.
                          No i didn't remember the order, except the numbers 2 that are for the high & low E.
                          But there's a trick somewhere with the heights. The highest ones go in the middle, then the next one is lower and the outer ones are lowest. I hope it works like that

Comment

You are lucky. I had a chrome Floyd that was sprayed with varnish. That was a real pain in the ass to clean up. What you are doing looks fine.
                            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post

After getting the rust off, I wouldn't rewash them. Getting them wet with water could promote rusting. Just wipe off the excess WD with a paper towel.

For the order, align all the saddles together and they sould form a hump (lowest on outside E saddles, highest on the inside D and G saddles).
                              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
                              X