X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on birdseye necks

Charvels like the one here at the music zoo
    http://www.themusiczoo.com/Charvel_U...Zoo_C7847.html
    have this amazing looking birdseye figuring.
    The ones at warmoth and this mighty mite neck on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=004
    just don't look even close.
    My question is, is it just the grade of figuring that makes the charvels look better or do they do something different? Do they sand or cut the wood differently or do they use a stain or tint that brings it out more?

I would think its just the plank it's cut from. A friend of mine has a MIM Strat he picked up fairly cheap. It has a very beautiful birdseye neck (pretty close to the first link). I keep telling him don't leave me alone with the guitar or the neck is mine.

We both are in agreement that we've never seen a MIM Strat with a birdseye right out of the box.
    2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
    2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
    2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
    2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
    2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
    2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
    2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
    2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
    2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
    1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
    1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

It's the plank it comes from. Both Mike and Mike at the Jackson Custom Shop were telling me that you can go through a lot of wood to get a neck (or body) with the ideal figuring. Even cutting the wood to size can reveal changes in result you wanted in the first place.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Jackson/Charvel are very specific if not picky about the neck woods. I was impressed with the stuff they threw out. HEHEHHE
        Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
        http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

The GC near me had a MIM strat that had a stunning BE neck.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

All figured woods - birdseye, flame, quilt, etc - come in different grades of figuring. The generally accepted convention is a grading system of A ("single A" - lowest) to AAAAA ("5A" - highest). AA and AAA are the most commonly used by many manufacturers, especially for figured tops used on bodies. AAAA and above is the premo stuff you typically see on custom shop pieces.

Comment

The eBay neck is a Mighty Mite. I got one last year and I sanded, stained and lacquered it before I installed it. It's o.k. but it is nothing compared to the guitars and necks that you can get a music zoo. Those are way better.
              SHREDDERMON has the good info with the 'AA' type grading. 5A look the best but you're gonna pay.
              JvicE

Comment

Just a bit of history. I was reading that Leo Fender, way back when, rejected figured maple boards and necks on the very early Strats. Something about he wanting all his guitars to look the same. He missed that one.
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                  Just a bit of history. I was reading that Leo Fender, way back when, rejected figured maple boards and necks on the very early Strats. Something about he wanting all his guitars to look the same. He missed that one.
                  I've also heard that birdseye and figured maple necks are not as stable as regular maple.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Is knots.:ROTF:
                    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                      I've also heard that birdseye and figured maple necks are not as stable as regular maple.
                      And you've heard exactly right. When I had my '63 Strat built, I had a choice between birdseye and quartersawn. After much research, I went with quartersawn and am 100% satisfied.
                      "POOP"

Comment

That custom charvel is amazing... if I had the money, I'd hit it tonight.
                        -Adam

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I was afraid that it was just the grade of birdseye. Even the $700 birdseye warmoth necks don't look even close to as good as the charvel ones. they don't look much better then a few of those mighty mite ones up on ebay right now for $155 ( and of course all the nice ones have medium frets).
                          Back to wishing for a nice one.

Does having a oil finish instead of a satin or poly finish made the brideye stand out more? I have a really cheap esp neck that has some birdeye in the maple, but I didn't see it until I sanded down the neck and used a tung oil finish.
                          Last edited by Rich#6; 03-19-2008, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Question on birdseye necks

> Birdseye maple is typically pretty hard,but that isn't always the case. The higher the concentration of eyes,the more unstable it is. Chances are if someone actually got a big enough piece of 4/5A to make a neck out of,it would have to be reinforced with those carbon fiber rods along with the truss rod.

The age of the maple itself is also a factor. If the piece is less than 20 years old,it has a higher chance of moving on you than a piece that was part of that Timeless Timber project,where submerged logs from the bottoms of major lakes like Lake Superior are brought up. Some of that stuff is 3-400 years old.

The eyes themselves are the result of a fungus,so actually the wood is diseased.

It's used in high-end pool cues too,I can show you pieces that would blow your mind. One in particular where the cuemaker said it took him over 4 hours to count all the eyes,he stopped at over 300,on a piece that was only a foot long and started as a 1 1/8 dowel. That dowel alone was 125.00. The cue sold for over 3k. A piece that highly figured and large enough to make a neck would cost 500.00 for the blank alone,no exaggeration. Tommy D.
                            "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

It's used in high-end pool cues too,I can show you pieces that would blow your mind. One in particular where the cuemaker said it took him over 4 hours to count all the eyes,he stopped at over 300,on a piece that was only a foot long and started as a 1 1/8 dowel. That dowel alone was 125.00. The cue sold for over 3k. A piece that highly figured and large enough to make a neck would cost 500.00 for the blank alone,no exaggeration. Tommy D.
                              A guy at work has a birdseye veneered cue that he paid $900 for. I thought he was nuts for paying that.

Comment

Working...
                              X