Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hoping someone could explain this to me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoping someone could explain this to me...

I've been playing the guitar for several years, but I am quite ignorant when it comes to technical stuff. I recently bought a used Jackson PS4, simply because I wanted it. With that being said, what does "raising" and "lowering" the action mean, and what does either one result in? How is it done? I prefer using GHS .009 Boomers and am into somewhat of a George Lynch style of play, and love throwing in finger taps and harmonics. The strings on this guitar are pretty close to the fretboard down towards the head but are what I feel too high towards the body. Would raising or lowering the action have any effect on this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

RR

Raising or lowering the 'action' is basically how high or low the strings are from the fret board. You can lower/raise the bridge to adjust your issue as well as possibly adjusting your truss rod.

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

...but, DO NOT fuck with your truss rod unless you know what you're doing. Site down the neck, there should be a VERY slight forward bow to the neck. If the bow is pronounced, then tighten the trussrod a quarter turn at a time until it looks right. If there is a backbow, loosen the trussrod a quarter turn at a time until it looks right. If the neck is just right, adjust the bridge studs to lower your action.
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Have to disagree with Zeeg a bit. Don't be scared of the truss rod. I found that's one of the biggest hurdles to get over mentally before you can set up your guitar. You won't hurt your guitar when you mess with the rod UNLESS you force it. If it won't move, don't force it. But if it moves with a little pressure, you'll do no damage.

I'd avise to turn it clockwise and site the neck and see what it does. Then turn it counterclockwise and site the neck and see what that does. Then you should have a decent idea of what a truss rod does.

As for the action, you can also lower it by raising or lowering the bridge. The two posts the bridge ballences on.
        I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Yeah, all I'm saying, is don't tighten the hell out of it. I've seen a few guitars that got permanently fucked up due to people messing with the rod too much.

As Bengal says, don't be afraid, just be careful, and realize that a slight turn of the rod is all you noramlly need.
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
            Yeah, all I'm saying, is don't tighten the hell out of it. I've seen a few guitars that got permanently fucked up due to people messing with the rod too much.

As Bengal says, don't be afraid, just be careful, and realize that a slight turn of the rod is all you noramlly need.
            +1000

I screwed up the neck on my old Ibanez that way.

"Twist, twiiiist, twiiiiiiiii *snap* twist twist twist twist"
            Scott

Comment

You really shouldn't be adjusting a truss rod too much for action. Adjust the height of the bridge for your action. If there's then too much of a gap between the strings and the frets (I hold down the first and last fret and check the relief between about the 5th and 9th frets) then you'd tigthen the truss rod a tiny bit (clockwise, facing down the neck from the headstock). If the strings are too close to the fingerboard, then you'd loosen the truss rod a tiny bit (counterclockwise).
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                I'd avise to turn it clockwise and site the neck and see what it does. Then turn it counterclockwise and site the neck and see what that does. Then you should have a decent idea of what a truss rod does.
                When sighting the neck for relief, it won't always be that apparent after turning the truss rod. It might take awhile to settle in.

Comment

Just a little more free advise. Once you make that quarter turn on the truss rod, let the guitar sit/acclimate to the change. In all honesty, I may make an adjustment one day and then wait till the next to fine tune it.
                  "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    You really shouldn't be adjusting a truss rod too much for action. Adjust the height of the bridge for your action. If there's then too much of a gap between the strings and the frets (I hold down the first and last fret and check the relief between about the 5th and 9th frets) then you'd tigthen the truss rod a tiny bit (clockwise, facing down the neck from the headstock). If the strings are too close to the fingerboard, then you'd loosen the truss rod a tiny bit (counterclockwise).
                    I find that once I set the bridge once, I never change it. All my "action" adjustments come from a truss rod adjustment from then on when the neck reacts to the climate.

And yes, it can take a day to "settle" but most guitars I have usually adjust right away. A bit of a tweak might be needed the next day.
                    I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
                      Just a little more free advise. Once you make that quarter turn on the truss rod, let the guitar sit/acclimate to the change. In all honesty, I may make an adjustment one day and then wait till the next to fine tune it.
                      Very good piece of advice
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

To check your relief in the neck, use a pair of cappo's and use the string as a straight edge.

If you wan't a good book, get Dan Erlewine's "How to make your guitar play great".

Comment

+1 on Dan's book.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Eventually You may check this:

http://www.peaveyt60.com/images/Peav...up%20Specs.pdf
                            Dinky XL '96 - always stay in tune

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                              I find that once I set the bridge once, I never change it. All my "action" adjustments come from a truss rod adjustment from then on when the neck reacts to the climate.

And yes, it can take a day to "settle" but most guitars I have usually adjust right away. A bit of a tweak might be needed the next day.
                              That's a good point, but the original poster didn't even know what raising and lowering action meant, but said his strings were too high at the end of the neck, so he'd have to raise the bridge a little. I wouldn't want to start confusing him with truss rod adjusments and thinking that's the way you should start out raising the action.

Comment

Working...
                              X