Couple of questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of questions

Where can I order a new factory Tusq nut for my SL2HT? Also the tuning keys feel cheap and have lots of play. Looking to put some locking tuners, possibly Planet wave auto trim units. Anyone ever put these on and if so, how much modifications need to be made to make them fit without leaving a nasty old screw hole?

I had planet wave locking tuners on my KBRR. they work great and are a direct replacement for the stock jackson tuners. so no nasty screw holes

Comment

I can't say for sure that it will fit an SL2HT, but I got a tusq nut for my custom Rhoads, and it's very, very close. The number is PQ-6010-00. It's 1 3/4" wide, 3'8" tall and 3/16" thick. E to E spacing is 1 7/16".
      It's supposedly for a Gibson, but fits very close on the Jackson.
      I bought it on ebay. There are plenty out there, the key is the part number 6010 - 00. They are also available from a number of online dealers.

As to the sloppy tuners, have you tried to tighten the little phillips screw at the end of the key? That will usually take care of any play in the tuner.

Comment

Tighten the screw on the tuning head that should take the slop out.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Also check with Graphtech. They make those Tusq nuts and are very helpful when I call them with questions.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Planet Waves are not a direct replacement for stock tuners on USA Jacksons. The USA headstocks are slightly thicker than the imports, just enough that the threads on the Planet Waves won't meet up and grab. If you want to use PW's, you'll have to make a countersink on each hole enough to accomodate the washers. I've done this on several USA's myself and, personally, I think it's worth it. You may not.

PW 6-inline sets used to come with four taller tuners, two shorter. Presumably to try and elinimate the string trees on Fender-style headstocks. The four taller keys work fine on USA Jackson headstocks, but the two shorter keys do not. Now it seems they've gone with all shorts. If you could possibly find two older sets (like from 5 years ago or more — I actually found one set in chrome like this last year at GC) you may be able to work something out. You would still have to drill the keyhole out to 3/8" all the way through (you would also have to this for Sperzels).

The Schaller locking minis that Warmoth sells, however, are direct no-mod replacements.
            please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Thanks guys. I ended up putting the PW's on it. I had no problem with thickness of the head or the screw hole location, I did however have to take a round file and remove the small end of the taper. No big deal and they do seem to work very well.

Also looking for a black pickup ring for the bridge.

Basically this guitar had a hump in the neck and for 2 yrs I've been trying to get it replace or repaired correctly under warranty. It has spent 15 months of its life sitting either at Fender(supposedly) or at the authorized repair facilities. This poor axe has been hacked and parts robbed off of it during that time and replaced with crap that they had laying around. I just got tired of fighting and wanted to play it so I took it to a guy here and he removed the finger board, leveled the neck and finger board then refretted it in a jig.

It is now straight but I ran out of cash before I could have the rest fixed. Figured I could save a few bucks buy fixing the stuff like the pickup ring and the tuners myself.

Should I just have him make a bone nut, or some other material?

Comment

Glad they worked ofr you without a big hassle. PW's are my favorite keys, no question.

Check out the pre-slotted nuts Carvin sells. I know they're a direct drop-in for Gibson, dunno about Jackson.
                Last edited by necrotechno; 03-10-2008, 12:21 AM.
                please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

I put a Tusq nut on my SL2HT, here's the thread with pics and how to (read thru the entire thread, there's also a picture in there): (I used the same p/n as 37fiat mentions).
                  http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...highlight=tusq

http://cgi.ebay.com/Graph-Tech-Tusq-...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog View Post
                    I put a Tusq nut on my SL2HT, here's the thread with pics and how to (read thru the entire thread, there's also a picture in there): (I used the same p/n as 37fiat mentions).
                    http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...highlight=tusq

http://cgi.ebay.com/Graph-Tech-Tusq-...QQcmdZViewItem
                    I see in the other thread you filed the nut slots in with super glue. How did that work out? Maybe I can do the same. I just ordered a couple of nut files and string height gauge from stewmac.

Hey, could you do me a favor? Could you measure the width of your bridge pickup ring. Seems that the pickup is larger then the ring on mine.
                    Last edited by Sidk; 03-10-2008, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidk View Post
                      I see in the other thread you filed the nut slots in with super glue. How did that work out? Maybe I can do the same. I just ordered a couple of nut files and string height gauge from stewmac.

Hey, could you do me a favor? Could you measure the width of your bridge pickup ring. Seems that the pickup is larger then the ring on mine.
                      ??? my posts in that thread only mentioned using super glue to attach the Tusq nut!

I can measure & take a pic of my bridge pickup ring later tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidk View Post
                        Should I just have him make a bone nut, or some other material?
                        Making a bone nut is usually pretty time consuming (cost $$$). But it's a pretty sweet option.

If you are shopping at stew-mac, look up a video on making your own bone nut from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog View Post
                          ??? my posts in that thread only mentioned using super glue to attach the Tusq nut!

I can measure & take a pic of my bridge pickup ring later tonight.
                          My bad, I was at work and speed reading the thread. I read that nut slots could be filled in with nut shavings and super glue if they were too low then filed down. That's what I thought you meant.

Cool, I could use those inside dimensions.

DonP, I saw that on SM, looked cool. I have one of those high end JS30 Kelly's that will be my gueanie pig for learning to making nuts and things that I would normally pay someone to fix. I'm sure not going to attempt it on this USA model till I learn on something else.

Comment

Cutting a nut isn't too much to worry about because if you F it up, just start over.

What you need to be careful about is removing the current nut without destroying the finish.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                              Cutting a nut isn't too much to worry about because if you F it up, just start over.

What you need to be careful about is removing the current nut without destroying the finish.
                              I think this nut has been out before. The height is good but it binds badly on a couple of strings(already ordered files for those slots). So before I start with a new nut I gonna see if I can fix this one by just widening up the slots a hair to see if that helps.

Also if I were to make a new one, say from the graph tech stuff. It comes as a 16" radius, would I need to file the top down to 12 to match the compound radius of the soloist?

I was told Jackson uses Tusq nuts, can anyone verify that?

Thanks guys, lots of great advise.

Comment

Working...
                              X