Fitting Blackouts/Actives to RR3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting Blackouts/Actives to RR3?

I've tried a few different pickups in my RR3, DiMarzios and Duncan Invaders, now I've got a Custom/Jazz set in there. I'm happy in general with the Custom/Jazz, it's the best set I've had in the guitar easy. However - I think it must be the shape of the fucking guitar, but it's like NOTHING I try is heavy enough for it. The Custom is great for metal, and in a superstrat, or a Les Paul, it would be perfect. But in the RR3 it's like it somehow lacks gain. I don't know, I must have something at the back of my mind saying this guitar should be used for death metal.

So, I'm thinking of getting a set of Seymour Duncan Blackouts. But I'm a bit worried about fitthing them.

How easy is it to fit Blackouts in an RR3? Is it simple to wire them up to replace passive pups? Where exactly do I fit two batteries, there's not much room in this guitar?
    Finally - anyone tried Blackouts in an RR model guitar? How d'you like 'em?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
    I think it must be the shape of the fucking guitar, but it's like NOTHING I try is heavy enough for it. The Custom is great for metal, and in a superstrat, or a Les Paul, it would be perfect. But in the RR3 it's like it somehow lacks gain. I don't know, I must have something at the back of my mind saying this guitar should be used for death metal.
    I agree with you that it does lack gain. This is my 2nd RR I have owned and they both do not have that metal sound. Right now I have my RR3 opened up and will be going to my local guitar store to get some other pups.. Haven't decided yet.
    2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
    2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
    2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
    2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
    2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
    2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
    2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
    2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
    2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
    1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
    1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

Originally posted by JetFixxxer View Post
      I agree with you that it does lack gain. This is my 2nd RR I have owned and they both do not have that metal sound. Right now I have my RR3 opened up and will be going to my local guitar store to get some other pups.. Haven't decided yet.
      The Custom 5 in my Epi SG has less gain than my RR3, but in the SG it just sounds RIGHT. It suits the guitar to a T. The RR3 somehow cries out for a much heavier tone. Maybe I shoulda just gone for the JB.

Comment

I had a set of blackouts in my old RR3 , they are very high gain and definately a heavy pickup. they sounded good in that guitar. Wiring them in is not that easy , being they are active you have to change all the electronics, this includes volume and tone pots and input jack of the guitar. If you are good with an iron you can go to seymour duncan website and they have a wiring schematic for the blackouts . I fit the 2 batteries in the RR just fine . hope this helps. good luck

Comment

WCR Ironman set would do it.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Keep in mind that with the actives/covered pickups you may have to do a little routing because of the plastic tabs are a little bigger then the metal ones used on passive pickups too.
            If you aren't sure about going active(blackouts you have to change your settings) try a dimarzio super 3 which I love myself a seymour duncan alterative 8 or dist parallel axis which are both very hot pickups too. Blackouts do sound good though.

Comment

I installed a set of Blackouts in a Dean ML Yesterday without any problem, yes you will need to swap out the pots and input jack, but there should not be any routing required! BTW have you checked out a Dimebucker? it's about 16.3k output and is great for pinch harmonics etc.... it's a good high output pickup that can crunch pretty hard!
              Shibs

Two Reasons Why It's So Hard To Solve A Redneck Murder:

1. The DNA all matches.

2. There are no dental records.

Comment

Originally posted by Shibs View Post
                I installed a set of Blackouts in a Dean ML Yesterday without any problem, yes you will need to swap out the pots and input jack, but there should not be any routing required! BTW have you checked out a Dimebucker? it's about 16.3k output and is great for pinch harmonics etc.... it's a good high output pickup that can crunch pretty hard!
                As long as there's no routing I'm sure I can do it easy enough. I'm going to wait a little and see if the Custom 5/Jazz grow on me before I go for a Blackout set, but they're looking good just now.
                As for the Dimebucker, I've not really seen anyone with a good word to say about them, even on the Seymour Duncan forum so I'll give them a miss.

Comment

I put blackouts in a KV2 with out any routing, I did have to raise the string hight a little the blackouts were a bit taller than the JBs.

Comment

Try an X2N..heavy pup..sounds great.

Comment

Originally posted by KBRR View Post
                      I had a set of blackouts in my old RR3 , they are very high gain and definately a heavy pickup. they sounded good in that guitar. Wiring them in is not that easy , being they are active you have to change all the electronics, this includes volume and tone pots and input jack of the guitar. If you are good with an iron you can go to seymour duncan website and they have a wiring schematic for the blackouts . I fit the 2 batteries in the RR just fine . hope this helps. good luck
                      They require 2 batteries? You run them in series?

Comment

Originally posted by JetFixxxer View Post
                        They require 2 batteries? You run them in series?
                        The original LiveWires run on two batteries. The Blackouts and Mustaine LiveWires only need one. He must be running in series for extra headroom if he's got two in there.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I know the Metal livewire is 18v but didn't realize that the blackouts could run at a higher voltage.

Comment

The Blackouts can be run higher voltage just like EMGs. I think they've even got the same clips to swap out in place of EMGs. I know EMGs can run on up to 27v, not sure if the Blackouts can run that high as well.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarsjb View Post
                              Try an X2N..heavy pup..sounds great.
                              +1, passive pickups ftw.
                              Originally posted by horns666
                              The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

Working...
                              X