nutless floyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nutless floyd

Has any one had success using a floyd rose with locking tuners and a regular nut instead of a locking nut? Thanks in advance.

Mike

That's a standard config that Carvin uses. You have to make sure there is no string binding at the nut. I think it can work well if you have straight string pull through the nut, but I wouldn't recommend it for for a J/C with a pointy headstock because the angle the strings take through the nut makes it really hard to eliminate string binding. I've had friends who are fine with just locking tuners, but I personally wouldn't go that route, especially if you're going to use the bar heavily.

Comment

I've done it using locking tuners and a roller nut.
      Not bad, but still not as stable as a locking nut.
      -Rick

Comment

poor floyd...hope he don't wunt chillens....

i, too, have experimented with other nut configs to use with the floyd rose, but i always go back to the top lock. it just works best that way....
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I have a carvin DC125, when it arrived I was surprized to see that it had spezel's and a lock nut. I wanted the lock nut only but I guess they come this way??? Just to entertain my curiosity, I loosed the lock nut and played it the way I normally do and used the bar and wouldn't you know it, out of tune. Not terribly out of tune, but enough to easily notice. And yes I stretch the hell out of my strings during changes. I don't even like the sperzel's...if I break a high E-string and just want to do a temp. fix at least with regular tuners if I put enough wraps on them I can just unwind the string some and put it back in the block (usually when I break a string it's at the bridge)-not too often though thankfully. For a Floyd, stick with the regular lock nut.
          2 BC Rich USA Gunslinger's-lightning bolt graphic
          BC Rich USA Mockingbird-candy apple red metallic
          BC Rich USA STIII-gray snakeskin
          Ibanez RG770DX-lazer blue
          Kramer Sustainer American-black

Comment

Nutless floyd rofl. Whoops, sorry. Useless post there. I must be a noob trying to pad my way up to the 100 post limi.. dammit. No, absolutely no point to this post.

Nutless floyd. :ROTF:

Comment

Ditto what DG said.

But think about it. The idea behind Floyd Rose's double-locking tuning system is to isolate the speaking length of the string. Thereby eliminating tuning problems caused by tension being transferred to sections of the strings that you don't play on (ie the non-speaking length).

The question is, why would you want to defeat the Floyd's optimal tuning stability?
              please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Seems kind of pointless to me, unlocking the nut isn't a big deal

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                  poor floyd...hope he don't wunt chillens....

i, too, have experimented with other nut configs to use with the floyd rose, but i always go back to the top lock. it just works best that way....
                  LOL!!
                  Part of what makes a Floyd cool is having a locking nut.
                  Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
                  Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
                  Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Comment

Working...
                  X