Heavy Strings & SLSMG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy Strings & SLSMG

Well I tuned down a full step (D C G F A D) on my SLSMG using D'Addario 10-46's and the string tension just feels too slack. I'm going to try a set of 11's tonight, low E is a .054. What does everyone else do/use? Any tips?

You'll have to strobe tune it.What you want is the same tension as if you were in standard tuning it might also need some truss rod ajustment.

Comment

With my SLSMG I use 10s for standard/e flat tuning, 11s for a whole step down. All I had to mess with when going up a gauge was the intonation.
      EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

I usually use Ernie Ball Power Slinky 11-48 for D tuning, sometimes DR 11-50.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by jtr View Post
          You'll have to strobe tune it.What you want is the same tension as if you were in standard tuning it might also need some truss rod ajustment.
          Bullshit, no, wrong. Nobody but a tech NEEDS a strobe tuner. The neck will not suddenly bow. Your action will not go to pot.

I use 10-52s Elixirs (which are slightly higher tension than other string manufacturers it seems) for any tuning between Eb standard and drop G(tuned GGCFAD)

Comment

a 52 will go to G? dude, that's 2 steps below what a 7th string is usually tuned to. how is that not flapping around and sounding like shit?

Comment

You set the intonation ,I've alway use a strobe tuner and any moron can use them even you. He's droping his guitar a whole step I said he MIGHT need to ajust his truss rod.

Comment

Thanks for all the contributions so far, very much appreciated.

I have put on a set of Ernie Ball 11-54's. The tension is a bit tighter than I'd imagined it would be, but at least they're not flapping around. Strange thing with this guitar, when it arrived I swapped the original bridge for a Tone Pro locking tunomatic type. The brand new bridge came out its packaging with all the saddles set dead centre/in line with each other. The intonation is spot on...? that's with a set of 10-46 and a set of 11-52...not altered it a jot. This can't be right can it?

As far as truss rod adjustment, which way should I go? The guitar is dropped a whole step, but I've got heavier strings...doesn't this sort of cancel out the adjustment?

Comment

BTW, I'm using a Boss TU12, seems accurate enough to me...no?

Comment

There's been cases where people have had perfect intonation with all the saddles lined up, it just happens sometimes. And yes, you put heavier strings on but in lower tuning, so the truss rod should be fine. But if you were getting too much pull from heavier strings (possible if they are tighter than you thought they would be), you'd need to tighten the truss rod by turning it clockwise if it's an issue. Just fret the 1st and 14th fret, and check to make sure you have the right amount of relief (over the sixth fret).
                    Last edited by drockilles; 03-06-2008, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by drockilles View Post
                      a 52 will go to G? dude, that's 2 steps below what a 7th string is usually tuned to. how is that not flapping around and sounding like shit?
                      LOL I was wondering the same thing. I wouldn't use anything less than a 56 for the low B of a 7th string.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Im able to tune to Eb and still drop the 6th (42 gauge) down to D'!
                        Just above the "Wobble", and sounds amazing! Im sure 10/46's would
                        do the job better though.

Comment

9-46 E 10-46 Eb 10-52 D/C# and 10-46 (without the 10) + 60 for C-Bb, for Bb I liked the 70 I tried, but needs to be a little smaller, and a little longer scale length for stability imo. For G I'd want 28-30" and atleast a 72

My slsmg however has done from Eb to opeths ghost reveries tuning (DADFAE) fine on 10-46's

Comment

I have 11-54 Slinkys on my SLSMG and the tuning is drop C, perfect, but if i wanna go any lower i want thicker end allso... like for drop A it should be at least 56... then, it sound good, otherwise it feels like im playing with noodels.

Comment

Wow, resurrect from the dead...
                              Last edited by potatohead; 05-27-2010, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X