Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Rose disassembling and maintainence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose disassembling and maintainence?

Hey what's up all. A while back somebody posted a You Tube video with a guy disassembling, cleaning and lubing a Floyd Rose on a Jackson Dinky. I've been trying to find it unsuccessfully......anybody have a link to it handy? It was a great and very thorough video and I thought I had it bookmarked, but I guess not!

Not much needed except some WD-40 and an old tooth brush to remove any stuck crud. The WD-40 cleans and lubes at the same time. Wipe it down with a soft cotton cloth and your ready to go.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Some of the experts say that Chapstick on the posts where the knife edges go is the best lubricant for them.

WD 40 only lasts a few weeks...and smells bad...#1 ingredient in it is fish oil.
      My Duncan Designed pickups are way better than Seymour Duncan regular pickups you fanboy.

Yeah...too bad the forum doesn't have a minimum IQ.

Comment

WD40 is one of my favourite fragrances...number 1 is Solvol Autosol and number 2 is Old Spice...

Comment

I like Maker's Mark!!
          My Duncan Designed pickups are way better than Seymour Duncan regular pickups you fanboy.

Yeah...too bad the forum doesn't have a minimum IQ.

Comment

Originally posted by goodwood View Post
            Some of the experts say that Chapstick on the posts where the knife edges go is the best lubricant for them.

WD 40 only lasts a few weeks...and smells bad...#1 ingredient in it is fish oil.
            Like Bengal65, I use WD40 and a toothbrush to clean my Floyds. For the posts, I do indeed use Chapstick.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Also, it's a good idea to take a picture of the location of your intonation or set another spare you have to the approximate intonation of the one you're taking apart, so when you put it back on and back together, you are not totally clueless as to how to reset your intonation.

Comment

It's also good to make sure the saddles are in the right order (they've got numbers on the bottom of them, but I forget which is which at the moment... they're like 1, 2, 3 or 0, 2, 3). They'll go in an arch, with the inner two being the highest and the outside ones for the E strings the lowest.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  It's also good to make sure the saddles are in the right order (they've got numbers on the bottom of them, but I forget which is which at the moment... they're like 1, 2, 3 or 0, 2, 3). They'll go in an arch, with the inner two being the highest and the outside ones for the E strings the lowest.
                  Hehe, good point. Some have numbers, some dont. They have dots instead or different colors of foil underneath (copper and silver). If you're aware of the fact that they actually have an order, its easy to tell which goes where though.

Other than that I wouldnt recommend disassembling a trem for the purpose of cleaning and lubricating it. Lubricating a trem is a very bad idea. And you can easily clean a trem using an ordinary large household scrub brush (made of plastic). No need to disassemble it, I have cleaned the most fucked up trems like this and they look like new after 2 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by goodwood View Post
                    I doubt that WD-40 has fish oil in it. It would be too unstable with the rest of the elements it contains.
                    http://wd40.com/Brands/pdfs/msds-wd40_aerosol.us.pdf

I rather like the smell of it myself.
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                      Also, it's a good idea to take a picture of the location of your intonation or set another spare you have to the approximate intonation of the one you're taking apart, so when you put it back on and back together, you are not totally clueless as to how to reset your intonation.
                      That's a very good idea! I've been always doing this!

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
                      I rather like the smell of it myself.
                      +1! I love the smell of WD-40.

Where do you get this ChapStick btw? All I could find with google is some lip balm?
                      Last edited by Nazgul; 03-05-2008, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
                        +1! I love the smell of WD-40.

Where do you get this ChapStick btw? All I could find with google is some lip balm?
                        I like the smell of WD-40, too! And Chapstick is lip balm. If it's not sold where you are, any type of lip balm should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
                          I doubt that WD-40 has fish oil in it. It would be too unstable with the rest of the elements it contains.
                          http://wd40.com/Brands/pdfs/msds-wd40_aerosol.us.pdf
                          True. Holy true.

FR pivots should be oiled wit machine lube. I use gearbox oil.
                          Dinky XL '96 - always stay in tune

Comment

See if this is it
                            Tremol-No Clean and Lube

Comment

I use pencil lead (graphite) to lube the post/knife edge contact point

Comment

Working...
                              X