Original VS Schaller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original VS Schaller

I'm at Warmoth, and I see both Original Floyd Roses and Schaller Floyd Roses for sale. What's the difference?

Length of the screws coming out the back (Schaller is shorter) and the hardened plate on the OFR (cast plate on the Schaller).
    please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

You sure about that?
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Well, I don't own a Schaller. Been a while since I looked at one. Let me go check Warmoth's site...

Quote: "This bridge is different from the original in that the main body is die cast with hardened steel inserts for fulcrum points. Sonically, this die cast design is slightly warmer sounding than the solid steel original. This saddle tightening screws for this bridge do not protrude as far out as the Original Floyd"

Yep, I'm sure.
        please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Schallers have a thicker, cast plate with hardened pivot inserts. OFR has a thinner hardened plate, all one piece.

Schaller has shorter screws, so less wood needs to be removed. Cleaner looking. Theyre both great, but Id say today, the Schaller is better quality than the OFR. I have plenty of both and like them all, but am partial to Schaller.
          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Thanks

Comment

I'm glad nobody brought up:
              -Ping Floyd's (junk, right? LOL)
              -Ibanez edge (warm, cheap, or what?)
              -Kahler spyder, etc (Parts... where the hell do I get parts?)
              -Gotoh (I'm gonna try one, as soon as I can stop buying Schaller's on e-gay for 75 bucks used, in good condition)
              and most importantly....
              "hardtails"
              hehehe
              "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
              --floydkramer

Comment

I'd prefer the original, I don't like the way a Schaller affects the tone
                Check my bands!
                www.myspace.com/magicktr
                www.myspace.com/sinif64
                www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

I tend to prefer the Schaller myself. I've had many of them, and never had an issue.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Floyd

For my money, always a REAL Floyd Rose original...accept no substitutes.

Anything else (including a Schaller) just feels, sounds and looks cheap by comparison.
                    Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

I prefer the Schaller...Schaller makes BOTH their bridges AND the OFRs.They've made the Floyds for Floyd Rose for years now. There are threaded steel inserts in the Schaller's base plates to that can be replaced if worn out, so that incase an intonation screw strips out, you haven't just ruined the entire base plate. The knives on the Schaller unit can also be removed for sharpening or replacing.
                      Some of the "Schaller" units on 'da Bay are REAL Schaller units..if it don't say Schaller on it or have an OEM imprint such as Jackson, Charvel or Hamer.. it may not be a real one.. there's another asian company that makes knock off Schallers.. they've been used on some of the import Peavey V Types and such.. I've got one here that a student gave me.. its real close, but the arm has a little white nylon bushing thing inside the thread sleeve and it doesn't have the threaded inserts in the base plate. Some of the late 80s and 90s Schallers didn't have these but still said Schaller or had an imprint on them. It looks like a good enough replacement unit, but don't crank down and over tighten anything or you'll strip something..lol.
                      DiMarzio Endorsee
                      www.dimarzio.com
                      Morley Endorsee
                      www.morley.com
                      "Intelli-Shred" author
                      www.myspace.com/intellishred
                      NEW BOOK OUT! "ARPEGGIO MADNESS

Comment

Originally posted by KevinDguitar View Post
                        The knives on the Schaller unit can also be removed for sharpening or replacing.
                        Do you know a place where you can get them? If I understand correctly...these are main (and only) reason for not holding in tune correctly, right? (considering everything else is perfect...setup, strings correctly stretched, new floyd springs and no slippage in locking nut)

Comment

You can e-mail Schaller and I believe they'll give you direction on getting replacement knives.. I know a few guys who sharpen their own.. another thing I've found that affects the stability over time.. and this wear that we're talking about is from years of playing/use.. sometimes the groove in the post/insert gets bunged up.. its not uniformly "v" anymore and the post insert itself needs to be replaced.
                          Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
                          Do you know a place where you can get them? If I understand correctly...these are main (and only) reason for not holding in tune correctly, right? (considering everything else is perfect...setup, strings correctly stretched, new floyd springs and no slippage in locking nut)
                          DiMarzio Endorsee
                          www.dimarzio.com
                          Morley Endorsee
                          www.morley.com
                          "Intelli-Shred" author
                          www.myspace.com/intellishred
                          NEW BOOK OUT! "ARPEGGIO MADNESS

Comment

I've had guitars with the gotoh and scahller floyd and played a good few OFR's...

I prefer the schaller over the OFR and the Gotoh over the schaller for feel....

Plus OFR's are impossible to find the UK....

I'm quite happy with the quality of the Schaller's which have held up enough over the years of abuse about two or three...

Comment

i just ordered a Gotoh locking trem. from everything i've researched, they are making top quality double locking tremolos. i'll let everyone know once i've played with it for a while.

i like both my OFR's and Schallers. they have a different feel and from my research they have a different radius. OFR being 10" and Schaller being 14". that being said... leads me to believe that Schallers are better suited for Jackson's because Jackson necks have a 14"-16" radius. supposedly the Gotoh's also have a 14" radius.
                              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                              X