Spinning / Slipping screws.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinning / Slipping screws.....

Please can anyone advice on the best way to cure spinning / slipping screws within a guitar body?

First problem is with the Strap Pins, these have totally stripped out the created thread within the hole, this allows the screw to slip out even without a strap attached. I thought about trying a larger screw size, but am unsure, as I do not want to damage the guitar and also want to keep the original sized screws (38mm length).
    Some people have suggested filling and re-drilling?

Second problem is on one of the four screws which bolt on the neck, this does not fall out of its own accord, but will not fully tighten and does not lock?

Thanks in advance

Easy fix here - put some toothpicks in the hole and the screw the screw in there .

Comment

You can superglue a small dowel or toothpick in the hole, no need to re-drill. Make sure you don't get any of the glue on the finish.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys - much appreciated
        I will give the toothpicks a go

Comment

Use wood glue though, not superglue.
          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

+1 on the wood glue. Just make sure you let it dry overnight.
            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Thanks for the shout on the wood glue

Comment

Or you can use the "quick" method. Tooth picks and no glue!
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

It's easy enough to put a drop of glue in there with the toothpick. Don't worry about letting it dry. Just put a drop of glue on the toothpick(s), shove it in the hole, cut off the excess with a pair of end cutters, and drive the screw back in. Don't worry, the wood glue won't stick to the screw.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Toothpicks and whatever glue I find first .
                    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002 View Post
                      Or you can use the "quick" method. Tooth picks and no glue!
                      I use match sticks or golf tees with NO glue. Once you start re-threading the screw, the expansion of the wood creates a secure bond/fitting.
                      "POOP"

Comment

Working...
                      X