An Amp Project for Cyg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Amp Project for Cyg

It took me more than 1 1/2 hours just to get the chassis out. Cyg and I have been talking about restoring this little very Champ-like amp that dates to the '50's. I don't know how to PM pics so I'm putting it here. I'll do a lot more cleaning. What do ya think, Cyg?
    I am a true ass set to this board.

I think the tranny may be trashed. A lot of water damage in there.
    After that, the pots will have to go, the caps replaced, everything
    must come out, the chassis cleaned up, hopefully the can cap is ok.

Other than that, the chicken head knobs have a lot of mojo.

Seriously, I'll look up the tranny and choke.

I had to go into my Ensoniq SD1-32 synth today to track down a broken
    volume/data slider. Not a fun prospect, they don't make those synths anymore,
    either.

Comment

The double pot that is the On-Off and Tone needs to replaced. When I got it, it did fire up. Kinda.:ROTF: That thing is almost as old as I am. :ROTF:

Comment

IF the tranny needs to be replaced, there is an 8-watt champ OT I found at the Magna site for 44 dollars. That's just glancing, though. I may already have that can cap.
        It's remotely possible for me to restore that tranny, if it cooperates on disassembly. I've done it before. I doubt if there's anything wrong with the choke, they are made of copper and film paper.

Comment

Look at the cabinet. It's so cool.

Comment

Cyg,
            You are simply amazing brother.
            I mean, I've always considered myself to be someone who is not afraid to dig into most complicated things (2-stroke snowmobile motors/carbs, lawnmower engines, phones, stereos, even my wife's psyche... hehe)

But to hear that you can take apart a transformer, anticipate what you'll find there, and go for it... well... let me just say this:

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
            --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
              Cyg,
              You are simply amazing brother.
              I mean, I've always considered myself to be someone who is not afraid to dig into most complicated things (2-stroke snowmobile motors/carbs, lawnmower engines, phones, stereos, even my wife's psyche... hehe)

But to hear that you can take apart a transformer, anticipate what you'll find there, and go for it... well... let me just say this:

I can't say I've had success every time, but I have done it.
              An Ampeg V4 (twice, two different ones), and another champ type
              clone. It all depends on how bad the rust is penetrated. It's not that big of a deal.

Comment

But, the balls to dive in... and not just buy a new one
                That's a big deal.

I'm diggin' it bra

BTW, the 88 is worth mentioning
                "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
                  But, the balls to dive in... and not just buy a new one
                  That's a big deal.

I'm diggin' it bra

BTW, the 88 is worth mentioning
                  Money is a motivation. Thje V4's were porbably worth only about 200 tops, but the tranny's cost 150. I wanted to fix them, but had the time, but not the money...so, there I went. Funny thing is, one of those exploded on my bench for a completely different reason. Don't ask, it was a learning experience.

(Ok, since you asked)...
                  There's a series of ahem, low value LARGE voltage caps in the power section. I replaced those four, got one backwards, and this D-Cell sized
                  cap exploded and puked it's guts all over the amp. That was right before it burned through the diodes. WTF? what was the fuse doing? Oh, that's right...they don't PLAN on someone putting a cap in backwards.

Comment

The water damage seems to more of a condensation thing living here in the Pac NW than actual real water damage. I'll take a closer look at the tranny to see just how rusty it really is.

Comment

I'm back. Both trannies seem to have cosmetic rust. The plates on the power tranny look tight and are not rusted. The wires look Ok. If this little amp that could had a trashed cab, I wouldn't even think about restoring it.
                      Last edited by fett; 03-02-2008, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Send it on, fett. It's something I can only judge with the trusty meters.
                        Analog is a good thing.

Comment

This is some cool shit, mind if I watch ?

Comment

Be my gust.:ROTF:

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X