My first soldering iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first soldering iron

So today I bought my very first soldering iron and after I have soldered an old cable this afternoon I've changed both pick up in my dk2m with a couple of dimarzios. It turn out a bit messy but everything seems working perfect so far!

Tell me about it.:ROTF: Try it with only one good eye. Actually, soldering is kinda fun.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

;p
      Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Well, the bigget problem was to work in that narrow space with that small holes . Then I was not sure which cables I had to solder togheter as well And soldering the shield and the ground in the pile of solder at the bottom of the volume pot without making a mess was the worst thing
        In the end it worked out pretty good also if I just notice there is some ground problem when I do not touch the guitar.
        Here is the masterpiece!

Oh! I added a megaswitch as well. Cannot stand the clunky 3-way blade switch!

Comment

Not bad at all!
          You probably know this, I solder everything I can with the pots/switches out of the guitar, then install them. That usually leaves only the ground to solder to finish.

Comment

Yes I did the soldering with the switch out of the guitar, then put it in place. Volume pot was left inside though.

Comment

Nice! Just be careful to not confuse the iron with a pen. I licked the soldering-tip in mid-thought once. Ouch!

Comment

Originally posted by GuerillaPete View Post
                Nice! Just be careful to not confuse the iron with a pen. I licked the soldering-tip in mid-thought once. Ouch!

I haven't made that mistake...yet!

Comment

LOL, I haven't licked it, but I sure have burned myself plenty of times. It fucking hurts too.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

No pain - no gain congratulations for Your bravery.
                    Dinky XL '96 - always stay in tune

Comment

I usually leave things installed since that's the best way I have of holding them. Otherwise I have to go out to the garage and use a vice or some locking pliers.

Comment

Looks Better Then My First Time! Good Job

Comment

I have a Megaswitch in my fender. Those things for some reason don't like to take solder well. Nice job any way.

Comment

not a bad job, I use to solder alot for my last job, but when I tried to replace my passives with actives I did a shitty job. I followed the directions that cane with the Blackouts, but the Bridge pickup just made a loud hum, the middle would actually make guitar sounds, and the neck all I could hear were radio stations. That will be the last time I try to rewire a guitar.

Comment

Thank you everyone. The guitar sounds great also if with certain amps it is too middy. The only problem with it is a ground problem when I do not touch any metallic part on it. I tested the ground solders and they seems to be fine, I don't have a clue about it. It plays great non the less though!

Comment

Working...
                              X