Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fret work

Gents,
    I bought a guitar that had fret work done. The current strings are 8's, i like to play with 11's. Is this possible with the frets being so low or will i have to get the neck adjusted? My thoughts are that the action would have to be high to aviod buzz but thought i'd ask you guys.

thanks

Should be fine as long 1. the fret work was properly done and 2. you get it re-set up and intonated for 11s. BIG difference in the set up for 8s and 11s. Any local tech should be able to do the set up for you.
    DiMarzio Endorsee
    www.dimarzio.com
    Morley Endorsee
    www.morley.com
    "Intelli-Shred" author
    www.myspace.com/intellishred
    NEW BOOK OUT! "ARPEGGIO MADNESS

Comment

The frets themselves shouldn't need work. Level frets are level frets, no matter what you tune to or what strings you have. However, yes, you will need a truss rod adjustment and then the rest of the guitar set up around that.

Comment

If it's not a locking nut guitar, the nut slots may need to be widened a bit so the larger gauge strings don't bind.

Comment

Just try it out... raise the action a bit ..
          I play (DR Tite Fit`s) 11-50 and have my action on 1.8 low and 1.3 high strings...
          And I have a little bit of a buzz on the upper frets but that`s because I have
          a strong picking technique..(you don`t hear the buzz through and amp :P)
          Well just try it...
          Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

I take it that in mm.Thats fairly low if you tune down you might not need to adjust the truss rod.

Comment

It is mm...
              Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                If it's not a locking nut guitar, the nut slots may need to be widened a bit so the larger gauge strings don't bind.
                It does have a locking nut. I will have the neck adjusted. appreciate the info guys.

thanks

Comment

Working...
                X