KE3 truss rod problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KE3 truss rod problems.

I started noticing a bit a fret buzz, and looked at my neck and it had a little bit of back bow in it, so I tried to adjust my truss rod, but there was absolutely no tension. I tightened it a little and then I started to feel some tension so I think maybe just the nut at the end of it came loose some how. Has anybody ever heard of this happening? I have always adjusted it in very small increments, so I don't believe I did anything to damage it. Any suggestions on what I can do?

Let me get this straight: Can you now adjust it both ways or just tighten it? If your neck has back bow as opposed to too much relief you'd want to loosen the truss rod. If the nut was loose because the truss rod has already been loosened to the max then I suppose one way of getting the neck to straighten out is a set of heavier strings.

I'm not sure I got the picture though.

Comment

It will only tighten, and yes I know I want to loosen it. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been loosened to the max, I've only made very small adjustments on it before.

Comment

You need to either tune to standard tuning or use heavier strings because you don't have enough tension on the neck now so it back bows.

Comment

Originally posted by jtr View Post
          You need to either tune to standard tuning or use heavier strings because you don't have enough tension on the neck now so it back bows.
          Actually, overly heavy strings will bend it up, causing it to back bow due to the increased tension.

Comment

Do you really believe that. DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT A BACK BOW IS?

Comment

you can,
              put heavy gauge strings on and tune it high leave it for a couple of weeks to see if that brings it back.
              or(and) Put the guitar on its back, put a support under the nut part of the neck so its supported there and at the bottom of the body. Add weight (bag of sand or dumbell weights) on the guitar body near the neck (or on the horns of strat type body). try that for a week or 2.
              or take the neck off, make a clamping jig that can hold the heal and the head (at the nut) and apply pressure in the middle for a day or more.
              or wait and maybe the temp or humidity change will fix it.

Whatever you do, do it in moderation and check the results often

Comment

to educate without being condescending, jtr,

I believe
                Upbow or relief is the neck pulling forward as it does from string tension. usually can be adjusted by tightening truss rod

BACKBOW is a neck bending away from the string pull. usually can be adjusted by loosening truss rod

Marty, you should definately :
                mark the location of the truss nut with a permanent marker for future reference. Take of the truss rod nut, Clean the threads on the nut and truss rod. Put a drop of oil or some graphite lube on the threads and replace the nut. It'll work much better and easier. I also try to make truss rod adjustments (when tightening anyway)without string tension. If the strings are on the guitar you can loosen them at the tuning pegs or press down on the wammy bar.
                Last edited by maxboost; 03-02-2008, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Thanks a lot maxboost, very informative posts. I'll try tuning it high for a while and see what happens. Its pretty probable this is due to the weather, I live in an apartment and the temperature fluctuates quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by maxboost View Post
                    to educate without being condescending, jtr,

I believe
                    Upbow or relief is the neck pulling forward as it does from string tension. usually can be adjusted by tightening truss rod

BACKBOW is a neck bending away from the string pull. usually can be adjusted by loosening truss rod
                    Well, you basically are right and said the same thing JTR did. Charvelrocker was wrong.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Dur, got my terms confused. Thanks for correcting me Max.

Comment

Working...
                      X