Advice on Scratch Removal please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Scratch Removal please...

Please can anyone advise the best way to remove a surface lacquer scratch from a guitar body?

It is not through to the wood, but is noticeable when you run a fingernail across it, or the light shines on the guitar. It measures approximately 2 inches in length by a 0.50mm wide.
    I wondered if some sort of buffing would be advisable? Or could the lacquer be retouched?

Thanks in advance

Sounds like this one will be difficult to buff out. If it is indeed Nitro lacquer, you will be able to "drop fill". It's a special technique and is outlined in Dan Erlewine's book, "Guitar Player Repair Guide". Nitro lacquer has the ability to "melt in" on finish repairs. If it acrylic or poly, you will have a more difficult time, but it's possible to repair it and look good it if it is a solid finish and no metallics.
    With buffing, you might be able to start with 1000 grit papers, move up to 1500 grit and buff out using medium and fine polishes available at luthier supply houses like Stewmac.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Thanks for the reply and advice 'Bengal65'. The guitar in question is a 1990 Fusion Professional non-metallic with flamed top. I am unsure of the lacquer type, can you advise?

Comment

if it's a jackson, it's poly. can you post a pic of it? if you can feel it, you may be best off by filling with super glue, and sanding/buffing it out.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Being careful with the superglue as to not make it any worse....

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys
            I think I will take a look at the Dan Erlewine book to get an idea visually of what I need to do (all sounds a bit scary, that sanding and stuff ), as last thing I want to do is make it look worse. I try to take a picture so you will get a better idea of the scale of the scratch.

Comment

Leave it. It's called character.

Comment

If you have no expierence with Super Glue, I'd stay away from it. I've seen more guitars worse off by a well intentioned person with a tube of Super Glue.

What I've done with decent success is get some sort of auto polish and scratch remover. I have some by Turtle Wax that works pretty good. I've heard people go nuts when I say I use that stuff but it works pretty good. Work some in, rub it off, work some in, rub it off. Repeat until the scratch is not as noticable. I've never had enough patience to completely remove a scratch this way, but it takes out that white scrach mark and makes it harder to see.
                I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Working...
                X