Another volume pot question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another volume pot question

OK, the volume pot in a 2007 Custom Shop RR1 has issues and needs to be replaced. Mahogany body, two humbuckers which I am pretty sure are a JB/'59 pup combo. Dealer says he'll send me another volume pot, no problem there but he wants to know if it was a 250K or 500K.

When looking inside the cavity all that is on the back of the volume pot is the code 037407 0644 CTS, nothing about 250K or 500K. The neck tone pot has the first two digits covered by solder, all I can see is the 0K at the end. The bridge tone pot says 250K.

I've read about the differences between 250/500 but would anyone know with any certainty which one I have from the information given? I don't know if they are all supposed to be the same or not. Thanks in advance for the help.

Traditionally on Jacksons, they use 250K for tones, and 500K for volumes. So I'd say get the 500K.
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

You can use 500k for both.Just get an rsguitarworks pot kit and have the very best there is
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
        You can use 500k for both.Just get an rsguitarworks pot kit and have the very best there is
        Ditto, the authority on RSGuitarworks has spoken
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

If your guitar is working (I don't know if the pot is completely killing it), does it sound too bright? Getting a lower value pot kills some of the highs and makes it sound warmer.

If you are happy with the sound right now, stick with a 500K volume.

Comment

i just put in a big order at RS guitarworks. good stuff. i'm diggin there superpots and modern caps.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations. An RS upgrade kit is on the way.

Comment

Working...
              X