Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMGs in SL2H or RR1

Hey guys,
    I had a question for you RR1 or SL2 owners with EMGs if you have them in em'. I was thinking about putting EMGs in either my RR1 or SL2, but was wondering if there will be enough room in the compartments for the battery or batteries if its wired 18v. Ive never really had EMGs but have tried a couple guitars with them and thought they were kinda cool...especially since I have 4 guitars and they all have either dimarzios or seymour duncans in them. If anyone has put EMGs into their RR1 or SL2, was there room? I can get a decent deal on a used pair, but I dont want to do any extra routing. Also, they are an 81 and 85, what can people say about the 81 in the neck and 85 in the bridge? (I tried an 85 in a bridge once and liked it a lot, but I dont know how the 81 would work.
    Thanks in advanced. (sorry if it's somewhere mentioned here in the forums, I did some searches).

Here's a long debate on placement.
    There's usually enough room to fit everything in a standard Jackson control cavity,
    if the wiring is done correctly, IMO.

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...2&highlight=81

Comment

Thanks a lot Cygnus! I glanced through that thread too and it seems a lot of the people prefer the 81 in the neck or not at all (I felt it a bit too harsh in the bridge position of a guitar I tried). Thanks again!

Comment

My Sl2 has an 81/85 in it. I'll have a look at the cavity this weekend to see if there is enough for another battery.
        As for the sound, I like the 81 in the neck, its smooth enough, however I don't think it is as interesting as other neck pickups I've used, but they were mostly passive.

Comment

I put an 81/81 set in my KVX10 (string thru) with the 18v mod. It's tight but if it'll fit this small route it should fit any Jackson route. Below is a pic. The vol pot is under the left battery, the switch is between them, and the tone pots to the right of the other battery. No problem

It's an ongoing debate but I like the 81 in the bridge. The EMGs have the quick connect so if you get an 81/85 set you can try it both ways. It does seem like people that like the 85 in the bridge also prefer the 81 in the neck. Of course if I ever find a good deal on an 89 I'm putting that in the neck for the split capability. There's plenty of extra room for a push/pull pot right? If your routes are similar to the Dinky route it'll fit no problem, I put actives in a Dinky and an SLSMG without a problem.

karl

Comment

Thanks guys! It looks like plenty of people have EMGs in their Jacksons!!!!

Comment

yea my old RR1 had EMGs, 81/81 i never did the 18V mod but it had more than enough room to add a second battery. I liked the 81 in the neck, i used to have the 81 combo in all my guitars but after a while i started putting 85's in the neck .. it was warmer and fuller than the 81 which i liked. I did try the 85 in the bridge and i liked the 81 better .. its all personal preference cuz alot of guys here love the 85 bridge. JUst wire it all up and its easy enough to try both out. good luck

Comment

Working...
              X