Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duncans shouldn't sound like this, right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncans shouldn't sound like this, right?

My DK2M hasn't been too much of a tonemonster lately.

Last night though, I had some spare time and played it "against" my SG G400 and LP SPCL II and it sounds horrible compared to those two. The DK2M"s output is much lower and muddier. Volume is working fine, and tone seems to work fine, pick up selector is at least pretending to be working. Here is what maybe be up: I play in our basement, and I was barefoot playing my Ibanez SA120 one day, as soon as I touched the strings i got shocked, and my brand new Fender lace sensors and Dimarzio tone zone quit working. Similarly to my Jackson, the tone was crap and volume was low, but on the Ibanez the volume pot didn't work anymore, but with the Jackson the volume pot does work. I've heard that the issue is that by grounding out on the guitar I've demagnitized the pick ups, so what I need to do is just run another magnet over them to fix it, sound right? Any help is beyond greatly appreciated.

Could this just be case of me not knowing how this guitar should sound?

No, what you have is lethal electricity going through your body and guitar - NOT GOOD!

Pickups have very fine wire (thinner than a hair) and are designed to have less than a volt going through them. Any more, and they'll burn through and be dead.

The DK2M should be bright and loud if it's still got the duncan JB in there. If it isn't bright and loud, something is amiss.

Comment

Def not bright and loud.... Not looking good

Comment

Doesn't sound good but maybe before you toss the pickups change the pots. They aren't that good anyway. Get some CTS pots or the high end ones from RS works.

Comment

I played it through a distortion pedal and it was fine, so maybe the combo of the SG with the lamo crate distortion just sounds better than the combo of the Jackson and the lamo crate distortion. When I played it through my cheap lil Fab Metal pedal it had the tone you'd expect

Comment

Working...
          X