Can he do it?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can he do it?!

OK, so I am in the process of joining an established band. I don't want to name names until it actually happens, though everyone is talking like it's going to. Here's the thing. "We" have two shows coming up on the 8th and 9th, and a studio recording very shortly after that. I live in Seattle, and the guitar player who I need to learn the songs from lives in Portland. Most of the set hasn't been recorded yet, it will be when the band enters the studio on the 8th(same day as the show, I know). So I have not heard the bulk of the material I am supposed to learn, except for one song in a cheesy MIDI version. Can I pull this off and be able to give my usual 150% onstage in a mere two weeks? You bet your ass I can!

crazy. Go for it, Ace. How are you going to pick up the new material? Daily teleconferences with the other guitarist?
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Cool Ace..well, I would hate to learn some band's material. But if I really, really liked the band I would give it my best..but I'd truly would have to be a fan of theirs honestly.
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Bill's got a point, but then there's more than one way to climb a ladder. There's nothing wrong with band-hopping. You expand your own skills and get your name out there among the bands that matter - it's a win-win.

Or you can do your own thing and slug it out in the clubs.

Either way, you get where you want to go by working for it.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Ace,you are a veteran of this addiction.You know you can do it.So,do it................................
          Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

Hehe!! I'm not giving up my band at all. This band I am joining is actually sort of a "supergroup"/sideproject, not that any one is on the cover of Rolling Stone, but everyone in the band is in other touring bands as well, and this band has members in both Seattle and Portland, so practice only happens before a show, recording or tour. It wouldn't be a full time commitment. Just some fun Carcass style grind and a some good shows, sell a few albums, have some fun, tour a bit. Good times!

Comment

Congrats at the opportunity and run with it man and have some fun.
              Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Good luck Ace!
                Just one more guitar!

Comment

I know what band it is! Looking forward to that show on the 9th!

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I've been listening to the band in headphones on repeat for hours and retuning guitars to get ready. I hope the money Master P owes me gets here so I can take some time and stay a few days in Portland to rehearse. Noww, I've got to hit the books! Err, fretboard!

Comment

Best of luck dude, sounds like a wicked gig.
                      THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Good luck and have fun man!
                        I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

u can dooittttt...Goold luck man, have fun rock on!
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

That's pretty damn cool! Best of luck man!

Comment

Well, the pressure is off! Since we won't have time to practice as a whole band before these gigs he's got a friend of his filling in for the two shows, then I come in after that and pick up from there. I could have done it in two weeks though.

Comment

Working...
                              X