Maple board resto tips. Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maple board resto tips. Please

This is the neck of my 1983 Smith Era Strat. I would really like to clean it up. You can see the leftover finish near the frets and how discolored the board is. I think I know what I want to do, but I need my hand held. Thanks.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

I think it looks amazing as is, I love maple necks when they look all worn in , personally I would leave it alone

Comment

Originally posted by Gartron View Post
      I think it looks amazing as is, I love maple necks when they look all worn in , personally I would leave it alone
      Ditto! & +1. Leave it as is. Don't mess with the mojo.
      In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

I sand it down to the wood with 80 and then 240 grade SANDPAPER. I 'lacquer it' with finishing products from STEWMAC.COM.

Lots of sanding with various EURO grades of wet-sandpaper to make the finish smooth and shiny. Sand the wood and the lacquer finish.
        Last edited by j4vice; 03-02-2008, 09:01 AM.
        JvicE

Comment

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52679
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by j4vice View Post
            I too love MAPLE necks all 'old' and 'worn' but when I get them with some one else's grit or DNA embedded in the MAPLE neck I sand it down to the wood with 80 and then 240 grade SANDPAPER. I 'lacquer it' with finishing products from STEWMAC.COM.

Lots of sanding with various EURO grades of wet-sandpaper to make the finish smooth and shiny. Sand the wood and the lacquer finish.

Go after a fretted maple board with 80 grit??? mmmmkay......
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

AHH......NO!Is he trying for a fret level too?
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Dont' use a 80 grit on you fretboard you will alter the radius of the board

I think if you use a 1000 sand paper and you sand it very slightly , it will be as new , I have tried it on a very dirty and dry rosewood board and after it was as new
                you must be careful with the frets,I have cut narrow tapes of sand paper and I have sand very carefully the board only (not the frets).

Comment

Sell it on ebay for $2000 as a "relic"... :ROTF:
                  Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Dunk it in a vat of termites for 5 minutes and then wipe off the excess
                    Scott

Comment

You can see that there is still some finish around the frets. I'm sure the maple under there will be much lighter. The last thing I want is to have a splotchy looking neck. I may just leave it alone. But that body is a beautiful Sienna Burst and the neck just doesn't look as good as the body.

Comment

I am in the process of having my neck refinished. I was lucky (if you call it that) my frets had to be replaced so sanding it was a little more easier for them. They said they had to do some bleaching because the wood is spots was so darkened. I'm hoping to get my guitar back soon to send to Mike L. for a new refin on the body.

joe...
                        www.godwentpunk.com
                        www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

If you're really serious about it, then start pulling frets.
                          Not that big of a deal, once you've done it a few times.

Comment

No thanks. The frets are fine. I'll just leave it alone.

Comment

I just bot this Squier Standard Double Fat Strat. If I am going to mess with a maple board, I thought I should experiment a bit. The knife is Swiss Army. It seems to be doing the job quite well. No sandpaper for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X