How to pull out input jack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to pull out input jack?

I've got a loose wire or a short on my stock KV2. When the guitar is plugged in, it will cut out and send a scratchiness to the amp.

I took off all the covers (control cavity, trem, and output jack) but the wires are so short I can't pull the output jack out to check the connections.

I figured if I could just solder it back together if that's what is wrong that would save me a 2 long drives to the shop.

Thanks
    Last edited by SouthPlatteDemon; 02-21-2008, 03:45 PM.

loosten the nut off the jack at the plate and push the input jack upwards back into the control cavity

then solder away!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gartron View Post
      loosten the nut off the jack at the plate and push the input jack upwards back into the control cavity

then solder away!!
      On the KV2 the input jack is on the upper wing. The control cavity is on the lower part of the body.

Comment

Desolder the wires going to the jack inside the control cavity. That will let you pull the jackplate out. If I were you though, I'd extend the wires while I was at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
          Desolder the wires going to the jack inside the control cavity. That will let you pull the jackplate out. If I were you though, I'd extend the wires while I was at it.
          There is enough slack in the wires in the control cavity that I should be able to get the input jack out far enough, but the wires won't move. It's almost like they ran the wires into the control cavity, secured the input jack and then yanked on the wires to get all the slack into the control cavity. The problem now is that there is nothing to grip on the input end to pull the wires so I'm left with trying to push them and that won't work.

Should I try gripping the wires on the input jack end with forceps and pulling really hard?

Comment

I have the same problem with mine. Not to be a smart-ass, but it's an output jack.

Comment

Use a piece of coat hanger. Straighten out any bends with pliers. Tape the wires tightly (with electrical or small piece of Duct tape) to the coat hanger wire and that way you can push or pull through the wire cavity drillings.
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Output jack I mean. LOL

Does anyone have a KV2 that has responded? The wires go into the body right at the floyd cavity, so they must make a 90 degree turn right there. I'll give the coat hanger thing a try.

I might even try squirting a little wd-40 up in there to lube the wires. You think that would be bad or good?

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPlatteDemon View Post
                  Output jack I mean. LOL

Does anyone have a KV2 that has responded? The wires go into the body right at the floyd cavity, so they must make a 90 degree turn right there. I'll give the coat hanger thing a try.

I might even try squirting a little wd-40 up in there to lube the wires. You think that would be bad or good?
                  The coat hanger is reasonably soft, or you can use a stiff piece of copper house wire or aluminum bare welding rod. What you are trying to create is a micro "fishtape".
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I personally would think both two and three times before squirting WD40 into a guitar. It may not do anything, but I'd be paranoid over that soaking into the wood. Especially on a MIUSA Jackson...

Comment

Originally posted by decadentdave View Post
                      I have the same problem with mine. Not to be a smart-ass, but it's an output jack.
                      Smart ass.
                      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPlatteDemon View Post

I'm no expert but how would that help? WD-40 is a Water Displacer, hence the WD prefix. Or at least, so I've been told by my pal who knows about this shit.
                        I don't see how it could make things like this work. Switch cleaner maybe, but not WD-40. "lube"ing wires just seems a futile exercise to me. Wires aren't meant to move, so why would they need lube?
                        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

After some pushing wires and pulling wires harder than I wanted to, I got the output jack out far enough to look at the contacts and they look good and solid.

I also sprayed contact cleaner on it and that didn't help.

It's almost like the jack is a bit out of round so the contact isn't hitting solid. I may have caused this from the way the cable end rests on my leg when sitting down with this V. Is it possible it could be out of round and this caused it to lose contact?

Comment

NO to the WD40!
                            It won't do anything but gunk up the works, and I would suppose it's not conductive.
                            Electrically, and asthetically.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                              NO to the WD40!
                              It won't do anything but gunk up the works, and I would suppose it's not conductive.
                              Electrically, and asthetically.
                              It is conductive and can be explosive as well. The old trick to starting a wet car or 4 wheeler was to give a shot of WD-40 to the distributor contacts and inside the cap on an engine. Works everytime. I think the flash point is well below exploding, but it could. (Not recommended on Ace Frehley smoking guitars)

Comment

Working...
                              X