Straight replacement for a JT-570 Trem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straight replacement for a JT-570 Trem

I recently bought a Frankenstrat for a very very cheap price. Its a black Model 1 or 2 with a Washburn Nuno Bettencourt neck. Its ok but I'm gonna make some changes. I've got a Kent Armstrong Ultra Distortion pup which is going in and I've just bought a 500k DiMarzio pot to replace the one in there already - (Looks like its corroded a bit).
    My question is that at some point I'd like to swap out the JT-570 single locking trem with a double locking trem (I'd also like to change the trem block too) and was wondering whether there was a straight replacement for these trems. The body is routed so it rocks back and forth. Ideally it would be just a straight replacement without any additional routing.
    Last edited by Retaliator; 02-21-2008, 07:01 AM.
    Charvel Model 4
    Charvel 475 Deluxe Exotic
    Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/retaliato

A Schaller Floyd Rose would be a direct replacement.
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
      A Schaller Floyd Rose would be a direct replacement.
      Really? Thanks for that. I was hoping it was going to be a half decent model. Would an original Floyd be a straight replacement as well?
      Charvel Model 4
      Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo

Comment

The 570 should have the same sustain block that the OFR and Schallers have. The trem itself is the same as the Schaller, only the saddles are different. Swap out the saddles and you have a JT590/Schaller!
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
          The 570 should have the same sustain block that the OFR and Schallers have. The trem itself is the same as the Schaller, only the saddles are different. Swap out the saddles and you have a JT590/Schaller!
          Ah! Didn't know that. Thanks! I am presuming that its a 570 as its a single locking trem, were these standard on Model 2s? I am presuming its a Model 2 as well as the Model 1s had a strat type trem did they not ?
          Charvel Model 4
          Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo

Comment

The 570 was not standard.
            Model 2's typically came with a JT-6, or a Kahler on the 86 version.

As for an OFR, it will depend on what body you have.
            A Model 2 did not have a recessed trem, so it would float above the body.
            You mentioned that it was routed to do pull ups, so it could very well be a Model 1 body that has been routed for a recessed trem. If that's the case, an OFR might not fit on the JT-570's route.
            Post a pic of the body with the 570 installed.
            That will help determine exactly what it is you have.
            -Rick

Comment

My gut feeling is its a modified 275, given the fact it has a recessed JT570 trem. Does not explain it only have one humbucker though.

Comment

Right chaps... here is it. Bear in mind the neck is not original, its a Washburn Nuno Bettencourt.

The neck plate that came with this guitar is a Charvel and the serial number is 229072
                Charvel Model 4
                Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo

Comment

Yikes. Modded Model 2 for sure. That ain't a JT570. Looks vaguely like the crap Vester used to throw on a number of their guitars that also popped up on some later Westone. Can you get a better picture?

Comment

Here's a close up of the bridge...

If its a Model 2 then which trem would be a straight replacement? Would the Schaller still fit or would I need to get something else? Oh and judging by the serial number can you confirm that its a Model 2? Sorry for all the questions.
                    Charvel Model 4
                    Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo

Comment

Wow... um... I have NO IDEA what the hell that is! Maybe its what CR said. What ever it is, its NOT stock.

But yeah, theres no doubt that the guitar is a Model 2, albeit modified. As long as the post spacing didnt change when they put that "thing" on there, a Schaller or OFR will fit no problem. That rout looks pretty hacked up though, no bridge you find is going to cover that up unfortunatley.
                      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

We can't confirm anything by the serial #. They weren't model-specific. That rear rout behind the trem didn't appear on Model Series guitars, and neither did that style of trem post. If it's a Model Series body, my guess is that it's probably a modded Model 1 body, or possibly a modded '86 Model 2.

The Model 1 originally had a 6 screw v-trem, so that type of post would be a logical mod. The '86 Model 2 had a Kahler fulcrum trem with narrow spacing, so again screw-in floyd posts might make sense as a mod. Take the trem off, and you may be able to see evidence of either the 6 screw holes from a Model 1 trem, or the two filled in post holes if it was an '86 Model 2. An '87 or '88 Model 2 would have already had posts that would fit any floyd or licensed floyd trem, so we wouldn't expect to see those posts unless something happened to the original posts & bushings and they had to be replaced.

Can you take a pic of the back of the guitar? The shape of the cavities can tell us whether it's a Charvel body, at least. As for what trem to put on it, that rear rout looks short, so a Schaller is probably the most likely to fit, but take some measurements to make sure the post spacing is right. That trem looks odd, so there's the possibility that it may not match up. IMO, an OFR will definitely be too long for that rear rout to be of any use, and it may even be too short for a Schaller, but it appears to only be a pullup rout and not a full recess, so it's not too big of a deal.
                        Last edited by dg; 02-22-2008, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the detailed reply fellas. To be honest, I'd never seen a trem like that either and assumed it was the Jackson type because of the single locking mechanism. Its pretty crap to be honest so definately needs changing.
                          Here's a pic of the back of the body... you'll probably tell me now its not a Charvel

By the way, the trem cavity is not recessed, so the cover sits directly on top of the guitar. Not sure if all Model 1's did this.
                          Charvel Model 4
                          Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo

Comment

No doubt about it, it IS a Charvel. Model 1 or Model 2 for sure... probably a 2. Just with a fucked up trem rout.

Comment

If the trem cavity plate is original (which it most likely is), then it should be a Model 2. A Model 1 plate has the slot for feeding the strings through. They switched the trem posts out for some reason. Just measure the spacing to be sure, and you should be able to put a good trem on there.

Comment

Working...
                              X