Different tunings and truss rods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different tunings and truss rods?

I'm due to get my SLSMG any day now and was wondering about a few things.
    I want this guitar to be my alternate tunings guitar; drop d, drop C etc. What would be the best string guage for this? Would truss rod adjustment be required if I alternate between a half step down and a full step down? I guess it'll leave the factory with a set of 9-46's.

In other words, would I have to settle for one particular tuning and set up the guitar accordingly?

my alternate tuning guitar ( my les paul) has skinny top heavy bottoms on ( i think they are 10-52) they are great for drop tunings

i didnt have to set my truss rod differently and i change the tuning on it a lot. so in answer to your question : no
    Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
    Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Dropping the low E string down to D doesn't require much in terms of adjustment. But a lot of people go to a heavier gauge when tuning the entire guitar a full step down - and that's when you may need to alter the truss rod. So if you must use both drop D and drop C, I'd suggest you use one guitar for Standard tuning (E) and drop D, and the other for D and drop C.

I've been using 010-046 for standard, 011-048 for Eb, and 012-050 for D...but I'm considering going to lighter gauges to further develop my left hand technique. I use too much force as it is right now. I don't use drop tunings at all, but if I did, I'd probably consider a "skinny top - heavy bottom" set, like Super_shredder suggested.

Comment

Yes ,decide on your tuning then set up the guitar. Use heavier strings so the tension is the same as if you're in standard tuning then strobe tune the guitar. The only time I tuned down I went from 10-46 standard to 12-56 altered tuning.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
          Dropping the low E string down to D doesn't require much in terms of adjustment. But a lot of people go to a heavier gauge when tuning the entire guitar a full step down - and that's when you may need to alter the truss rod. So if you must use both drop D and drop C, I'd suggest you use one guitar for Standard tuning (E) and drop D, and the other for D and drop C.

I've been using 010-046 for standard, 011-048 for Eb, and 012-050 for D...but I'm considering going to lighter gauges to further develop my left hand technique. I use too much force as it is right now. I don't use drop tunings at all, but if I did, I'd probably consider a "skinny top - heavy bottom" set, like Super_shredder suggested.
          I use 10-46 for D standard and 11-52 (IIRC) for C standard or drop B. 10-56 for 7 string in B. I find 10-52 a bit heavy for D.
          I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Working...
          X