coil tapping a Duncan Jazz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coil tapping a Duncan Jazz

I just installed it and when I coil tap it I can't tell a difference. The Duncan Distortion makes a huge difference when tapped. I'm wondering If I have a bad push pull pot or if the jazz is just that bright.

Any ideas?

You should definately hear a difference...

Comment

The Jazz is so gutless it's almost as weak as a single even when humbucking. 1/2 of a weak pickup is still weak.

See if you can notice hum when you have it split compared to not split (turn up the gain to increase the hum). If you can hear a difference in hum, it's split.

I must ask, why split a jazz? Get a meatier pickup to split, like the Distortion Neck (the Seymourizer).

Comment

I don't want it split. I just want to make sure its not. There is only one tone pot in the guitar and it is a push pull. It came factory that way and I'd like to leave it if at all possible. It's a dinky HX by the way. I just want to make sure that everything is as it should be and that it's not split all the time.

I guess I could wire up a regular tone pot and check it that way but thats a lot of trouble.

I may go ahead and put in a new push pull pot to check it. That way if it doesn't work i'll at least have a spare.

Comment

I did some more checking at different distortion levels and tone levels and I could finally hear a small difference. Nothing like I was expecting. At least now I know that it's not being split all the time and in fact I doubt I will ever split it. maybe the distortion in the bridge from time to time.

Thanks for chiming in

Comment

The Jazz is a bright pickup. It's definitely one of my favorites for the neck position.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Best way to check is to solder and tape the red & white together so they're not touching anything but each other - no knob, no switch, no nothing.

If you don't want it split, may as well remove the possibility.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
              X