The lightest raw body you own

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The lightest raw body you own

I still can't copy/paste. I bought a Strat style raw body on ebay. It's solid wood with a maple cap. It weighs 3 1/4 pounds. The bodywood is very white. Name that wood. It's auction 300193706383. An under 7 pound guitar in the making.
    Last edited by fett; 02-12-2008, 03:44 PM.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

You can't paste a link, and I'm too lazy to look at your auction

My 1963 SG Special weighs in at about 6.5lbs.

I'd say your wood is basswood if it's very white and very light.

Comment

I'm guessing basswood. Light weight, light in color:

Swamp ash is also light and light in color, but it has pretty obvious grain to it:

Comment

The body looks like Ash. Looking at the grain. It's just so light. This one is going to get the Noiseless loaded pickguard that has just been sitting around. A maple Fender neck and a big block trem.

Comment

Swamp ash is very light and has a grain to it.
          It will be a very bright in tone with the maple/maple neck. Good mid range pickups will be needed.The noiseless should work fine because they are darker than the standard strat pickups.
          Last edited by straycat; 02-12-2008, 05:33 PM.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

This not having IE is breaking my balls. I am certain that it is ash.

Comment

Alder has a grain as well....

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=020 Whahoo. I can

Comment

I don't want to disappoint you but there is no way that is ash. Look at the back of the body and the routs there is no real visible grain. I would guess basswood, but hey basswood is a good tone wood and under rated by a lot of people.

Comment

Interesting! Looks like the top must be a veneer, because that looks like it might be ash, but I totally agree that the back looks like basswood.

Comment

Looks like it dose have a veneer on it.

Comment

That looks like it is an ash cap or veneer. Definitely not maple, too large and open of grain and pores. Almost looks like the veneer might be pine as well, but is more than likely ash. I am almost positive that the body wood is basswood. The light color and lack of figure narrows it down big time.

Comment

Thanks for your input. It really does look better in person.

Comment

Working...
                          X