Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Action problem on DKMG!!

I cannot get my DKMG to setup for a low action
    when i lowered the bridge down the strings touches the 24th Fret and gets dead, now my action is really high !!

i did a Truss Rod Adjustment and got the fretboard straightened with a little small amount of relief , but still the same problem !! when i try to lower the bridge the string touches the 24 fret only , not the frets above it!!

what is the problem ??
    please guide me for achieving a really low action
    In God we Trust, All others must pay cash :ROTF:

Sounds like the neck angle is slightly off. You probably need to put a thin shim in the neck pocket (at the front screws). Try a piece of business card and see how far it takes you.

Comment

Yep. I had the same problem with my Mod 1 mutt. Just put a shim that lifts the top of the butt. Season to taste.
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

ok ill try put a shim in the front screws ,
        i think my Locking Nut is a little high too ?? the Clearance at my first fret is a bit high!!

Comment

You have to do what you have to do to get what you want. It's fun?
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

yea it is fun but i hope it solves my problem!!
            i really WANT a low action on my DKMG

Comment

Originally posted by metalcore View Post
              i think my Locking Nut is a little high too ?? the Clearance at my first fret is a bit high!!
              There might be a shim under the locking nut, some manufacturers do this. Take the nut off and see if there's a metal shim or a piece of business card in there.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

To check the nut barr at the third fret and see how much clearence between the fret and the strings at the first fret there should be some not much but some.Salt to taste.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Sounds like a job for a setup man.
                  I charge by the string, but shipping's on you.

Comment

yea i am screwed there are no decent repair / Setup shops here, where i live for a Full Guitar Setup

i bought the DKMG in singapore during a trip..

i am now really screwed about the action problem!!

I unlocked the nut there is no shim under there, but still the clearance is a little high to my taste!!
                    i was Oiling the fret board since it started a minor cracking , so i have too it apart and did a truss rod adjustment to straighten the neck more and reducing any relief ..

how do i get the nut lowered do i need to sand the area under the nut ??with sand paper or wood filer ??

Comment

I use a fine flat file or sand paper depending on how much shelf need to remove.Just don't take too much off at one time.Sand, check and re-check until you get it where you want it.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by metalcore View Post
                        yea i am screwed there are no decent repair /

how do i get the nut lowered do i need to sand the area under the nut ??with sand paper or wood filer ??
                        Uh, I hope you're not sanding the nut shelf on the neck. File the nut.
                        I hope I'm wrong, or confused. I would use a nut file, or very fine rat tail,
                        to bring the indivual strings to desired height.
                        Last edited by Cygnus X1; 02-14-2008, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                          Uh, I hope you're not sanding the nut shelf on the neck. File the nut.
                          I hope I'm wrong, or confused. I would use a nut file, or very fine rat tail,
                          to bring the indivual strings to desired height.
                          If the nut sits too high, I'd rather file down the base (bottom) of the nut.

Comment

Working...
                          X