Microphone thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microphone thread!

YAY! I know that some/many/all/none/one of us do a bit of recording. Personally I've worked around everything from giant Neve and SSL boards to Tascam tape recorders. I was hoping that maybe we could share which microphones we prefer to use. I recently switched my preference for recording guitars from the standard Shure SM57 to the Sennheiser e609. I really like the e609's live sound, and it has a nice pronounced upper midrange that adds a bit of depth to the sound over the SM57's I've been using. Any thoughts?

I've been using an SM57 right up against the grill of a cab and then a somewhat cheap M-Audio large diaphragm condenser on a pile of books a couple feet back. Makes a bigger, richer tone than just the 57 does on my rather harsh sounding Fender M-80 head (sounds great in person, but really harsh with just the SM57). Just needs a little eq cut in the low end and it sounds pretty ok.

Comment

Hmm the e609 is 40hz - 18khz (SM57 is 40hz - 15khz), shaped for cabs, and is about $9 dollars more so they are both about =

I was looking for a mic to record with and was ready to try the SM57 until now. May have to give the e609 a try instead depending on how this thread turns out

Comment

I use the e609 and the 57 on a regular basis. I compared a brand new 609 to a brand new 57(a real one, not an ebay fake) on the same cabinet with the channel EQ taken out of the signal path. The 609 was a bit warmer and the highs were a little more crisp without being harsh. If possible I'll always pick a 609 over a 57 for guitar.
        My Toys:
        '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
        '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
        '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
        '94 Dinky HX in Black
        '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

For guitars I use an old matched pair of Sennheiser MD421's. Sometimes I add a 57 on another speaker cone to have a different sounding track in the mix for diversity. Often, one mic on one cab will get you the most big / full guitar sound.

Here's how Death Angel did it way back (and all others for that matter). 1x421 + 1x57 per cab. :

Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I like the 421 as well, I didn't have one for my comparison though...

Comment

I've got a condensor mic but can't remember what it's called. I haven't used it in ages. Still in it's flight case.
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Ace, are you sometimes re-amping? If so, do you use the same mic for re-amping as you did for the first recording?

I really should investigate this scenario more, but haven't got the time yet. Record with a 421 and then re-amp using a large diaphragm condenser for instance...
                Henrik
                AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

My friends Cephalic Carnage re-amped their entire new album, and it sounds killer. Zac and I were talking about it for hours on the phone when they got out of the studio. Personally I tend to use feedback to color my sound sometimes and I am not entirely comfortable "trusting" that all the feedback and squeals are going to sound right when re-amped. I like to hear my guitar in real time, effects, harmonics and all. However, having said that, I am not opposed to the idea and I may try a bit more re-amping soon just to see what kind of results I get.

Comment

I've just got my small pc setup tapco link usb with mackie traktion 2 to record on.

Currently I just have the 57 which is good for most amped instruments, for acoustic instruments I prefer using condenser's...

AKG CK93 small diapraghm mic's are good for acoustic instruments, and tom's
                    AKG C1000S is a good overhead microphone

I also love the Audio technica 4033a for vocals drums guitars pretty much anything
                    I will be getting one of these for my own recording setup...

I'm not aware of any other mic's other than that sienhieser and 57 used for micing cab's, I will test the 4033a extensively with micing up cabs, and using it with the 57 for ambience...

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                      My friends Cephalic Carnage re-amped their entire new album, and it sounds killer. Zac and I were talking about it for hours on the phone when they got out of the studio. Personally I tend to use feedback to color my sound sometimes and I am not entirely comfortable "trusting" that all the feedback and squeals are going to sound right when re-amped. I like to hear my guitar in real time, effects, harmonics and all. However, having said that, I am not opposed to the idea and I may try a bit more re-amping soon just to see what kind of results I get.
                      Are you talking about Xenosapien or are they working on a new one now? Xenosapien's got some pretty fucking crushing guitar tone on it.
                      EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

They re-amped Xenosapien.

Comment

Working...
                        X