Opening a GT-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening a GT-8

Has anyone ever opened up a GT8? I got one yesterday, but it has a rock or something in the toggle wheel which makes it pretty tough to turn it well, so I was thinking I'd open it up and see if I can get it out.

Anyone have any experience doing this or any other ideas?

Recently got a Roland VSR-880 (used) with similar problems. Opened it and a shitload of broken plastic bits fell out. Still works though.

I think something like a screw may have got loose and wedged itself there. Usually happens if the thing isn't packaged properly (in my case, it was from ebay and not in the original box. It really does pay dividends to have those rubber/polystyrene brackets and the original box, not thin bubblewrap in a tight fit box ).

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, go back to the shop (or take it to an authorised Roland/Boss retailer who does repairs). They may be able fix it free or at a small charge.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

If it's used, then open it up as the warranty is probably expired. If new, take it back and get another one.

When you do open it, open it up slowly. You don't want to pull any wires out if there are any connecting the top and bottom halves.
      Scott

Comment

You might wanna use a grounding strap as well. No very familiar with the GT-8, but with all the shit it does I'm sure there's some digital circuitry in there that could be ESD sensitive.
        EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

Don't let the mojo out if you open it

Comment

Well I dug in tonight. If you take the screws off the back, you can get into all the boards and stuff, nothing is connected to the back plate, its just there for protection.

After doing this I realized that you can just pry the wheel off with a screwdriver with no problem. Turns out that I was just on too tight. The white thing I saw was a small piece of a packing peanut. Hehe

Comment

Working...
            X