CAE3+se/VHT2150 clip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAE3+se/VHT2150 clip

Here is an MP3 that I made screwing around with ideas with my drummer. It's a VERY raw, somewhat embarrassing recording of unrehearsed noodling (hands cold and me playing badly). So, it's here to show tone character an doesn't so much define my playing (I hope!).

The tone is a straight non-effected sound that I'm still tweaking with the Parametric from this particular setting (in other words, needs improvement). But, it will give you somewhat of an idea. No solos here. But, I'll get some soon. The Rig sings sweetly in that area..

EMG81>PA-2 Preamp>CAE3+se>furman PQ-3>VHT2150

I can get somewhat more brutal even with more harmonic squeals etc. But, that amount of edge is really best left to slow stuff. For fast stuff, I have keep a lid on it or I lose definition etc.

Honestly, I'm still seeking the tone in my head. This will do for a bit I guess.

http://www.clevelandmetalzone.com/mp3/f-ing-around.mp3

Re: CAE3+se/VHT2150 clip

your drummer seems excited! haha. i like that sound. It gets even..brutaller, err more brutal though?

Comment

John...please don't make me regret selling the CAE now bro...sounds killer man! The tone was awesome...even coming from the tiny little sh1t speaker on this laptop. The riffs you made up were just my kinda stuff too...it sounded alot like what I played yesterday when I was messing around. Excellent stuff bro! Keep the clips coming.

PS - How does Bill still like his Uber? Would you say your getting a more brutal metal tone than the Uber?
      - Joel
      RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
      RIP Dime

Comment

John,

come on dude!... you make me depressed with that tone, I suck!... actually, I already got my rack together so I accept directions for Voodu tweaking...

Amazing work dude, keep it up!... the playing is pretty good actually. I love the part of the riff where you play notes fast insted of just power chords.

The drummer seems alright... sounds like you needed more work on the miking of his set.

Comment

Drip:
          Yeah, the drummer was just trying to stick some ideas in a the crap I was working on making up. So he was all over the place. And yeah, I can get a more distorted grindy-er sound with more harmonics. But it gets hard to control at speed, and sorta loses definition.

Joel:
          Yes, the CAE is unique and has much coolness inside that can be coaxed out. Prolly should have kept it. But, they are pricey and it is hard to keep something that expensive around just for distortion generation. However, it is extremely unique in many ways. And there isn’t anything like ir really. It can get sort of a cross between the new detuned big 7string sound and a steroidal sounding Bay area sound.. Unique in a way.

Bill likes his Uber, even more now with my Rocktron ProQ in the loop. But, yes, I’m getting an overall bigger and IMO better higher fidelity sound. The Uber really does some of the rhythm stuff in a pretty cool manner that I am maybe slightly short on. I’m MUCH closer with the Furman PQ-3 though and maybe even better I’m starting to think. But, the jury is still out there sorta..

But overall the CAE/VHT rig is much more flexible. My leads kills the Uber.. But, if I had to grab a head to gig with, I would be looking for an Uber though.

Rodrigo:
          Thanx for the compliments, you will certainly be closing in on that sound with your Voodu I assure you.

The micing in this clip is just a mic in the middle of the room as always… About 6 feet from my cabinet, and 3 feet in front of the drumset. VERY primitive. Hence the generally crappy recording.

I need a few good mics, I need close micing, and he drummer needs like 6-7 mics, haha…

I really have only one that I like. Doh….

Comment

It should be somewhat soon Dave. Hopefully, we're back on track a bit better.

Still debating the idea of just releasing a 4 song EP/CD or going for a full CD.

Comment

Hey John; you guys have got to get some stuff recorded. That sounds very cool! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal:
                I really have only one that I like. Doh….
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What is it?... condenser or dynamic?...

Comment

It's a Condensor mic, a CAD E-100

Read this thread:
                  http://pub24.ezboard.com/ftheclevela...opicID=1.topic

Comment

Very cool....love that raw stuff like that...drums an all...Are you sure thats not a POD XT [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Dude, I envy you sooo much, that truly is Godly tone! Must be saweeet in person! [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Ha that tone is so freakin' brutal!!!!!! Sounds awesome!!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

John,

hey, that is an interesting microphone... I can see how they pickup better the low range!... they are seriously huge pieces... US$175 would be a normal price for a new one looking on e-bay... now you are making me fall in love with those... I really need one!

Comment

Yeah, I'm using the E-100 or the M-37 and they are both pretty cool.

With those mics and my Tannoy monitors, the playback sounds pretty much like things sound in the room with the band as I'm hearing it. Reproduces extremely well. Super flat response in the E100, and fairly flat in the M-37 and the GLX.

If we could close mic the guitars and the drums seperately, I'm thinking we'd be smokin... Lotsa money in mics though, ouch.

By the way though, they require a 48volt phantom power supply through the cable.

[ April 25, 2003, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Cleveland Metal ]

Comment

sounds great cleve ! great gear !!! //Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X