Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun or Iron for Soldering?

What's your preference and why?
    Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Iron. It's easier to navigate without the handle getting in the way in a small cavity...

I hold my iron like a pencil...
    I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Believe it or not. I have a dinky pistol grip iron. Not a gun as in those big things. But I do have a Weller, 35 Watts?, pencil iron with a 1/4 flat tip. It works great. And I do hold my iron like a pencil.
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Iron all the way.

Comment

I hold my iron with both hands....oh, I thought we were talking about golf.
          I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

IRON !!!!!!! and yup, held like a pencil.
            I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

Comment

Don't the soldering guns have a negative magnetic affect on the guitar's electronics/pickups? The irons don't, at least I think...
              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
              Gotta get away from here.
              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Iron. I have two.
                A 15 watt for micro electronic PC boards, a 30 watt for most everything else.
                I also have a Weller gun, capable of melting steel, I think. Prolly around 5000 watts, circa 1968. I never use it.

Comment

Radio Shack has a 25-40 watt iron that works great.I use the chisel tip.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I use a commercial Weller station. It costs up front, but my last one lasted 37 years! It has the sponge, temp control and auto shut off if left unattended after awhile. It also will use about 10 or so different tips. My last Ungar/ Weller was purchased in the 60's when slot car building was it it's heyday. I still have it and use it although the tips are not made anymore
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I hold my soldering iron by the tip, you wimps!

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                        I hold my soldering iron by the tip, you wimps!
                        :ROTF:

I've actually thought about getting a soldering iron and start practicing soldering stuff: a myriad of loose wires I'm making do with, some cables, that annoying chihuahua next door. You know the typical stuff.

Comment

I use a butane powered iron by Matco. It's great, you can change out the tips and control the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                            I also have a Weller gun, capable of melting steel, I think. Prolly around 5000 watts, circa 1968. I never use it.
                            :ROTF: That might be overkill! :ROTF:

Comment

If I held my iron like I hold a pencil, I'd burn all of the skin off of my fingertips.

What I want to know is how you hold the iron, the solder, and the wire all at the same time?
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X