Gotoh Floyd Rose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotoh Floyd Rose

I recently won one of these off sham-bay, so I thought I'd share my first impressions...since a lot of us replace the crap JT580s and other lower Floyds off our Jacksons and Charvels.

Well I have to say, I am very impressed with it. Hardened steel base plate/knife edges. Really low profile. Brass sustain block. The tremelo arm insertion point has 2 adjustments...one for how "tall/short" you want the arm above the plane of the tremelo, and another for how quickly the arm swings away after use (check it out in the 2nd and 3rd pics)

I've owned the orginal FL, the Floyd Rose Pro, the Schaller Floyd, and of course the junky Jackson JT580's, and this is a real nice item.

Scored it for $83 plus $9 shipping. Try getting a Floyd for that...

Oh...I should also add...the sustain block is thicker than the one on the Floyd Rose Pro I'm shipping out today, and the over-all weight was heavier as well.
    Last edited by mustaine-who?; 01-31-2008, 10:50 AM.

Suhr switching to Gotohs is going to make them far more acceptable to the snobby OFR crowd, I'd say.

On the other hand the JT580LP really isn't that bad, I've had a few and they worked pretty decently.

Comment

Next time I buy a Floyd, I'll have to give the Gotoh a shot.

Comment

I have a bc rich/gotoh on my gunslinger and it's great. I have never had a real floyd to compare it to though.

Comment

Doesn't/Didn't Gotoh make a lot of Ibanez hardware (tuners, Edge trems)?

Comment

Thanks for the info.
            Just one more guitar!

Comment

That's a great deal you got there! I found a place that carries Gotohs here but they cost almost as much as an original Floyd
              I have a Gotoh on my Larrivee.

Comment

Is it a straight drop-in replacement for an OFR/Schaller/JT-580, or did you anything else (new posts, etc)?
                Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Do they make a low-profile version of the Gotoh?
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The

The Gotoh in the pic is very low profile...I think its their standard model. Profile wise its much more like the Floyd "Pro" than the regular Floyd. Looks almost Ibanez low...

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    Do they make a low-profile version of the Gotoh?

Comment

Cool. So those long locking pins won't stick out over a route on typical lo-pro type of bridges like a JT580LP? Been thinking of replacing the trem on my Brian Moore that's got a licensed lo-pro.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'll have to chime in here I love my JT 580's. Never had a problem with mine and have abused the dog poo out of them.Solid as a rock.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

O-k

O-kkkkkkk....a little update here.

The damn string locking bolts extend out too far...they don't fit in the trem routing of my Jackson Professional. Not a big deal if all you do is dive bomb...but it totally rules out any pull-ups. I'm having mine blocked so that it only goes down...so no big deal in my case.

Just a little FYI...

Also...I've never had a problem with my JT580's either, but I can tell you..the one Jackson I stuck a OFR on had waaaay more unplugged sustain and over-all "vibration"...and sounded thicker and more musical when plugged in. Just sounded better period.
                          Last edited by mustaine-who?; 02-06-2008, 09:25 AM.

Comment

that's a common thing. all you need to do is buy some shorter string lock screws from allparts and you're good to go and it will fit in the route. i'm not sure what length you'll need you'll have to do some measuring.

-Mike
                            www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

That is the exact trem used on a bunch of my Heartfield EX guitars. I love them too !!http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t=EX_old_1.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X