Pickup replacement: pots/switches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup replacement: pots/switches?

First of all this is the first time I've really taken all the guts out of a guitar. So I bought my dkmg used and it had some crappy passive pickups. I picked up a set of emg 81/85s and went to install them and have run into a couple problems. First off the 25k pots that came with the emgs are wired to close together to fit in the body I dont know if its cool to just splice in more wire cuz it's this bare looking wire with this green thing (capacitor?) dividing the wire. It is somewhat of a moot point in any case because the pot shafts are longer then the ones I had. I've been looking some online and can't even find 25k pots on the main retail sites. The guitar also had a 5-way switch installed so it could have a cutout but I wanted to swap in a 3 way. I bought an allpart 3-way blade but the screws it needs are to big for the holes in the body. Basically I want all the stock guts that comes with a MIJ 81/85 dkmg but cannot find them anywhere. Anyone have any suggestions as to where I could buy stock jackson parts?

You can just de-solder the wires that are on the pots and replace them with longer ones.

You can shorten the length of the shaft by putting washers on the inside of the cavity.

The only type of lever-style selector switches I trust are Fender brand, available in almost every music store in the world. The're sturdier than every other kind I've seen, and all the aftermarket replacement tips fit them. If the screws are too big, you may have to ream out the holes.
    please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

thanks, yeah I'll probably end up doing that. It seems weird that you can't just buy the stock parts from anywhere.
      Last edited by danhalen; 01-31-2008, 02:41 AM.

Comment

hey can I use a plain insulated wire to extend the wires coming off the capacitor?

Comment

The length of the cap wire should not be changed.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

so what should I do? the emgs came with two sets of tone/volume pots (for direct replacement of a les paul). is there another capacitor i should buy? when other bought their emgs was this an issue? if so what did you do about it?

Comment

Adding lenght to the wire to the pots is not a problem the cap is wired to the tone pot lug and to the back of the tone pot so that should not be in the equation.
              You will just use 1 vol and tone out of that set.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

thats just it, the capacitor goes between the volume pot lug and the tone pot lug, check it out
                http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...ntenn/pots.jpg

Comment

Working...
                X