Idiot trem question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idiot trem question

Ok....here's an initial apology for how dumb some or most of you will likely find this question, I have to ask! I've am trying to learn how to use my first Floyd Rose (or any trem) on my new SL2H that I just got, and I was surprised to notice how little it pulls up before the strings tighten to the frets and you can't pull up any further....is this a set-up thing (i.e.: higher action = greater pull-up range), or is it a trem adjustment I can make (i.e.: looser spring action)? I'm pretty sure that the trems that Vai and Satriani pull up higher than mine....even though the SL2H is pretty deeply routed....any thoughts would be great!

Thanks!

Is the trem parallel to the body of the guitar in it's natural state?
    It should be, first of all.
    If it's angled toward the headstock in it's natural position, it's going to severely drop the strings towards the frets when you pull it back.
    You can get it parallel to the body by working the spring tension and retuning over and over until it's in tune, and parallel.

Other than that, the angle of the neck with respect to the body may require adding or removing a shim.

The idea should be that the string level not drop when you pull up on the bar... and there are only so many ways to adjust that issue.

Hope this helps!

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

Comment

Thanks for your reply, Spike.
      Hmm...well, it is parallel to the body in its natural state, and freshly set-up (by a pro, not me!). Can you explain the shim idea a bit? Where do you shim and what do you use? I don't expect to be able to pull up as high as I can dive down, but I'm really only getting about one tone of play...

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
        Other than that, the angle of the neck with respect to the body may require adding or removing a shim.
        seems a drastic measure for a neckthru!
        Hail yesterday

Comment

LOL
          Ya Vitamin, you're right about that... oops!
          Step away from the band saw!
          hehehe
          That pretty much leaves it up to raising string height to allow for more pull I guess.
          :/
          That's all I can think of axe... sorry dude!
          "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
          --floydkramer

Comment

When you hear Vai and Satriani play, they often use harmonics in combination with the Floyd, making it sound like they pull up more than they actually do. Try this: Hit a natural harmonic on the 3rd string at the 5th fret, and play around with the Floyd. You'll find that you can do all sorts of cool stuff with that note all of a sudden.

Without a harmonic, you generally only have space to pull a note up between a ½-1½ steps (depending on which string it is).

That thing aside; how high above the frets are the strings? If the action is very low, you may want to raise it a little bit.

Comment

Groovy...thanks for the info guys...I've always wondered how they manage to get those high squeals and stuff...I'll have to try that!
              As for the set up, the action is pretty low, but not low enough to get any string buzzing or anything. It's just right, in my mind....

Comment

That being said - I don't think it's right that pulling back causes the strings to fret out. In my world, it's normal that the trem bottoms out before the strings hit the frets. I don't know - maybe it's just me and my old-school guitars.

Comment

Well, it's entirely possible that I'm doing something wrong, being that I'm brand new to the trem world, but with open strings, I can get about a 1/2 semitone to a tone raised before the strings contact the frets. Doesn't it make sense that this would happen, since as you pull up the strings are tightening (which raises the pitch)? Wouldn't they eventually hit the frets?

Comment

Working...
                  X