MMMkay, Dimarzio X2N

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMMkay, Dimarzio X2N

I'm playing a Jackson KV2 (alder body, I hope most of you knew that already) through a VOX Valvetronics 120 watt head. A lot of my tone problems come from the cab I'm using. It's a Line 6 Spider Cab and let me tell you, it sucks. I plugged my head into a cheapie Marshall cab and man it sounded like a whole new amp. Amazing.

Shitty cabinet aside, I don't really think I'm too thrilled about my bridge pickup (X2N). I bought it after hearing relatively good things about it, and while it sounded great on a practice amp, it was a little much for gigging and the treble about blew my eardrums. I have a Dimarzio Norton in the neck and it sounds great. Only problem is I never use it save for clean settings. I'm looking for a bridge pickup that meets the following qualifications:

-RESPONSIVE (a volume that rolls off nicely would be tits)
    -Mid to high gain (but not so high it can't be tamed)
    -Big midrange frequency
    -A stratty single-coil tone with some humbucker balls
    -Harmonics. I love to make my guitar scream.

Send some suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

A Duncan JB may be what you are looking for.

Comment

Duncan Custom? More midrange than my Custom 5 (scooped mids) I just installed a "Tone Zone" in my Jackson and love it.It doesnt clean up (rolling down the guitars volume) like my Duncan Custom 5,but the Pup kicks ass.Way bigger sound and killer mid range and BASS.
      This is my preference,and thses are passive.Not sure if your looking for active.If so then how bout a Duncan HM LiveWire!
      Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Originally posted by ADR View Post
        Not sure if your looking for active.If so then how bout a Duncan HM LiveWire!
        He'll never get it to clean up by rolling the volume down. That's an 18v balls to the wall metal pup. The Live Wire Classic will work better, though.
        Or try a set of Dave Mustaine Live Wires (active version of the JB/Jazz, only running on 9v).

Personally, if just sticking with passive, I'd stay with the X2N and just adjust the eq on the amp, as I don't think the X2N is that bright, but a Tone Zone or Super Distortion are also great choices.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

another vote for the super distortion.

Comment

I dig the X2N. But another good DiMarzio with medium output and tons of harmonics is the Fred. That's a great bridge PU that doesn't kill everything with tons of output...

Install High Pass Filters and you'll see a difference when you roll back that volume. These things are priceless for that...
            I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Man that was quick. You guys rock.

My Charvel came used with a set of Livewires and I absolutely hated them, especially the waaaay overdriven cleans. Given my past experiences I'm not sure I'll ever go active again. I replaced the Livewires with the Duncan JBs that came standard in my KV2.

JBs are nice. Very organic sound and incredibly versatile. I've been thinking of throwing them back in the Jackson but I wanted to check all my options first.

Comment

Tone Zone meets your specifications pretty well other than the stratty thing
                I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

http://cdwillis.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yeah. I love the single coil and the humbucker sound, so a beefy combination of the two would be perfect.

I'm also looking for a new cab. Must. Have. Tone.

By the way, before anybody mentions it, I am a firm believer that the majority of your tone comes from your fingers. A good set up helps, though. Heh.

Comment

dimarzio super distortion. cleans up nicely when rolled back. screams with good harmonics at full power.
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Evo 2?

Comment

My two favourite bridge pickups have already been mentioned...

SD Custom..what I currently use. Its clear and has a good mid range bite.

Evo 2...similiar but more harmonics and a more weighty(lower mids) sound

Both respond nicely to volume and attack. Either will make you a happy man.
                        Jason Becker / Paul Gilbert Wannabe

Comment

-Norton in the neck, with a Tone Zone or Steve's Special in the bridge. My X2N is matched up with a Super-2 in the neck - a sonic hellstorm, really.

-Kent Armstrong's WPU-11 is his JB copy with a moderate sized Ceramic magnet, not unlike a Jackson J90C (another good choice) - the Duncan Distortion and DiMarzio Super Distortion both are a bit more powerful.

-Lace Drop & Gain set (probably my current favorite pickups) - strong but articulate.

-APC Persuader/Persuader Lead (they'll also custom build their super-hot single coils in a humbucker housing)

Haven't tried the DiMarzio D-Sonic yet, but that's supposed to be a very articulate and powerful pickup.

The D-Activator set is another on my yet-to-get list.
                          please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Originally posted by necrotechno View Post
                            My X2N is matched up with a Super-2 in the neck - a sonic hellstorm, really.
                            The X2N and Super 2 are awesome together... I used to have that in my old Warrior MG.

In my Carvin SC90, I've also got a Super 2 in the neck, paired up with a regular Super Distortion, and that's a pretty great combo as well.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Looks like the Super 2 is the neck pickup I need to try...
                              Jason Becker / Paul Gilbert Wannabe

Comment

Working...
                              X