Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone Pot

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of redesigning my guitar and want to know if i get rid of the tone pot and just leave the volume pot, will it make much of a difference to the sound? I always have the tone all the way up, is this how it will sound if I get rid of the tone control? I'm fitting a Seymour Duncan Distortion Trembucker if this makes a difference.

Thanks
    Are you going to bark all day, lil' doggy......or are you gonna bite :ROTF:

It will brighten up a little bit more without the tone pot in place.
    A tone pot still puts a load on the signal even when it's turned all the way up.
    -Rick

Comment

Even with the tone full up, it still attenuates some frequencies. So removing it from the circuit will make the pickup brighter.

There should be just one wire going from the volume to the tone, so you could desolder it and see if you like the tone. If not, just tuck the tone control in the electronics cavity connected.
      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Oooh, I like your thinking MMII, think that's the way I'll go! I'm off to go and install me a stealth tone pot lol !!!

Comment

i have experimented with tone vs no tone. and i will never have a guitar without a tone knob again. even in my 1 hum 1 vol guitars, i keep a tone pot wired in, turned up all the way, and stuffed in the control cavity.

not only does it tame the shrillness down to just the right amount. it also helps with feedback when you mute your strings without turning down.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Thanks all, your advice is much appreciated. Will tuck the tone control away in the cavity and see how I go from there.

Comment

Working...
            X