Pick thickness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick thickness

I was reading a book that claims thick picks are the best to use for attack, durability, and something else I can't recall. So, it got me thinking of what thickness pick everyone uses.

I myself use thin picks, always fender for some reason....it's what I started with. (color or design doesn't matter) I found I broke too many strings with thick picks when I used them way back in the day.
    Thin baby!
    5.63%
    Medium for me!
    30.99%
    Thick all the way!
    61.97%
    It's all about the fingers! (no pick)
    1.41%
    Last edited by stevoc; 01-27-2008, 12:42 PM.
    "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

I guess medium to thick. .96mm is the thinnest I like to use. 1.0mm and over works, too.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I used to use .77's for a long time and then switched to 1.14's. Now the Pickboy 1.14's are all I can play with comfortably. Unfortunately there's only one place I've found that sells them and it's in NY. Thank god for the internet.
      My Toys:
      '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
      '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
      '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
      '94 Dinky HX in Black
      '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

I prefer a smaller pick, I'm a big fan of the Dunlop Tortex Jazz Purple. However, I've been using the new(-ish) Dunlop Jazztone pick for a while now almost exclusively. It's thick, but it has a tapered edge that doesn't catch so much on the wound strings. It's like it's made in a mold, rather than being stamped out of a flat piece of plastic. Smoother attack, but still fast like the Tortex Jazz. It's also made of a different material material that *WILL NOT BEND*! Which is the one thing I liked about stainless steel picks, when I used those for a while.
        please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

I used to use the thickest, smallest picks around, like the jazz 3 and other teardrops, but now I'm more into .70-.90 range bigger picks, I think they allow for better control.
          I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

At the moment I'm using ibanez paul gilbert picks

Comment

I use a Dunlop Tortex Jazz III, it's pretty damn stiff and I'm guessing about 1mm ish?

Comment

i use 1.5 mm dunlop dark green picks (alligator logo), which apparently is thincker than the bass pick my mate uses lol, i know a lot of people suggest using at leat .88s for metal, just because u'll get a fatter and chunkier tone.

Comment

I like the .73 Ultex picks.
                  Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

I use jazzIII's. Small and thick. Very good for speeding up.

Comment

I use a 1.0 mil pic, but the jazzIII's are a great pic.
                      Shibs

Two Reasons Why It's So Hard To Solve A Redneck Murder:

1. The DNA all matches.

2. There are no dental records.

Comment

Green DUnlop
                        .88 I think
                        "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

jazz 3s for me
                          Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                          Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Most of the time I use Grey Dunlop .88's. If I'm using light gauge strings, I use my fingers ala Beck. Same with my Classical guitars, except I use a .73 pick or my fingers.
                            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Blue Dunlop Tortex Sharps for me. I think they are 1mm. Those work best for me when really chugging...

I can't stand the feel of a thin pick bending as I chug. That's always bothered me. I'm shallow like that...
                              I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Working...
                              X