Drum Machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum Machines

I got Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro a couple of months ago and I'm having no luck at all with the drum program that comes with it. Could someone please tell me how they do drum tracks? Do I need a drum machine? I'm not at all clear on how to get drum tracks to work [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    Thanks in advance...

Re: Drum Machines

sounds like you might not have loaded the fruityloops express part when you installed the program. the drum stuff (fruityloops)is not part of guitar trax itself. it is a separate program that you have to go back to your cd and install that on its own. it will remain separate and have its own icon. you create drum tracks in this program, and save them to a folder of your choice. later when you are in guitar trax you can import the drum loop you created and extend it for as long as you want with copy/paste etc. you should match the tempo of your cakewalk project to the tempo of the incoming loop to make everything a lot easier. the install cd also has a loop library that you can access anytime and import those. to learn how to use the fruityloops drum machine, go to their website and go through the basic tutorial on creating your own loops. it is very easy to use. if you want extendo details just email me and i'll see if i can assist.

Comment

I tried the cakewalk thing but I just didnt like any of the drum stuff there. I went out and got myself a used Boss DR-5 unit for $200... I love it. You can program all the backing tracks. I use it all the time to practice and it has improved my playing.

Of course you can always do everything on your computer but I just didnt stand it.

Comment

i use a boss dr660 for all of devane's stuff right now...d.m.
        http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

I've used drum machine after drum amchine, and finally I got what I really wanted: a KICK ASS drummer!! He's a jazz drummer that has played in a death metal band for quite a few years, got a few tours under his belt, and has toured the country, even opening for Cannibal Corpse!! Yes he's mine!! Sorry, I am just really excited STILL to be working with him!!

Comment

I know you cant beat a drummer... I just think they tend to be hard to boss around, they are not very portable with all their heavy gear and are usually big and grumpy... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ April 05, 2003, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

dude, my drummer is a 6' 6" ex-marine and extremely easy to get along with...he's basically said that since we're incapable of recording good acoustic drums that we'll sit down and he'll help me program the drum machine ....wow...d.m.
              http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

wouldn't that be nice Will?

a big tough, nice, good drummer? haha

wishful thinking in the great state of MT

Comment

Originally posted by rodrigo_echeverri:
                  I tried the cakewalk thing but I just didnt like any of the drum stuff there. I went out and got myself a used Boss DR-5 unit for $200... I love it. You can program all the backing tracks. I use it all the time to practice and it has improved my playing.

Of course you can always do everything on your computer but I just didnt stand it.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, if you could be so kind, PLEASE help me with my DR-5!!! I have the manual, but it's like reading German to me! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Comment

Word - No kidding, drum machines are too hard. All I want to do is beat on something to make a drum track.

rodrigo and diablo mozart - I have the same problem as you do with fruity loops. It has some of the stupidest drum sounds I've ever heard. I'll take your advice and either buy the dr-5 or dr660 or something like it anyway. Many thanks for your advice.

markpb - I dunno, this fruity loops program isn't really my type of thing. I actually read some instructions(!) today but it still didn't get very good sounding drums. Thank you for the help though.

Kyle - Big, nice, tough drummer? Never seen one of those [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I've seen a fatassed smelly one! muahahah [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

i've recently purchased a Boss DR770 from a guy. haven't tested it out yet but i've heard many great reviews of it. the DR770 is the top-of-the-line drum machine from Boss. it has bass backing function with it as well. the Boss DR-670, which is a step lower to the DR770 is also great. less expensive and has bass backing as well. there's another one. the Zoom RT-323 from what i've heard was also a great drum machine which has an extra track for you to work with to record a phrase or additional stuff apart from the drum track and the bass line. so maybe you might wanna check them out as well. there's some going around ebay. they usually go for around $200 to $300. good luck!

Comment

word, I will give you a hand with whaterver I know of course.

I love the DR-5 I did some research into this and for me it is the best bang for the buck. I think the jamstation is a rip-off but thats just my opinion (I did try it and it doesnt do more than the DR-5).

The DR-5 does 4 backing tracks and the really cool thing about it is that the keyboard where you enter the sounds is an analogy of a fretboard so you program it like you are playing your guitar.

You can do two things with it:

1) Program it real time. I find this to be a pain in the ass. Just find a preset you like for the drums, adjust the tempo and plkay whatever you want on top

2) Enter note by note: I always program this way. I usually get the tabs for the song in power tab (love this big time) and I just transcribe them into the DR-5. The tab gives you the tempo and tells you if the song is 3/4 or 4/4 or whatever. You gotta find a basic drum preset that does the trick. In my case I just programmed "always with me always with you" but that song is in 3/4 so I had to write the drums as well. Luckily they dont come easier than that one as far as drums are concerned.

anyway, e-mail me with any specific questions you might have, I might know or I might not know but I am willing to help:

[email protected]

[ April 06, 2003, 05:52 AM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

If you have cakewalk you should have drag and drop drummer (try that with your 6'6" drummer)

It was on the cakewalk cd and has a few sample beets that are pretty good
                            It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

Working...
                            X